-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, March 30, 2017

Spring In A Box

A big box store that is.  Each year, in the late summer there is a wistful feeling at the sight of the removal of the plant corral in the parking lot of our local Home Depot so the recent sight of the temporary fencing taking up quite a bit of parking space  is a sure sign of the beginning of a new growing season.  There was nothing particularly exciting out here yet, just basic plants but last year, several shipments of huge succulents, bananas, palms and other exciting offerings appeared.  


Inside, the painted plants made me smile.  Someone must like this look.

Looks like the straw flowers glue gunned to cacti practice is alive and well too. 

There were also some nicer things as well. 

Back outside, cold season vegetables.


An abundance of spring color.

Since the Depot and Lowe's are in proximity, I hopped over to see what was adorning their shelves.  Forgot which  of these was at which store.


 Daffodils and grape hyacinths are a great combination.

Narcissus 'Precocious' is a lovely thing if you're fond of "pink" daffodils. The thought of bringing a nice big pot of these home to enjoy crossed my mind momentarily but the mission this day was to get supplies to fix the hose on the recirculating pump in my pond. Despite what the weather is doing, spring is definitely arriving!


11 comments:

  1. Is there really a market for painted succulents?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankfully, Narcissus 'Precocious' looks deep orange on my screen, and pretty magnificent. I'm not sure I would be as appreciative if it was pink.
    On the other hand, as long as it isn't painted on I could accept it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Precocious' looks very orange on my screen too, which makes it tempting. I'd like it if it was pink too. You've tempted me to take a look around my own local Lowes and Home Depot. These pictures were a nice shot of spring! Those painted succulents -- Grrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The closest HD to my house has a pretty sad garden department. I no longer get excited when they start filling it with plants and only sometimes muster the strength (of body and mind) to walk down there (it's sort of in a corner of the parking lot). It's the best place if you're looking for a tomato plant in early March though (2 months before our last frost date).

    ReplyDelete
  5. The painted aloes made me a little nauseous but I suppose if they serve as a "gateway drug" by appealing to people that might otherwise never give plants a second glance, that would be a good thing. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HD near us do not care for their plants (their nursery contractors are supposed to do it, I was told, but of course they don't) so if you don't get there within a few days of delivery, it is a sad scene. I always feel like going into rescue mode and must restrain myself. Not a big fan of the box stores!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You caught me with the headline. :) Some of those plants are scary. But I like the lettuce in the pots--I'm starting to do more of that here. Spring in a box sounds so nice. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Narcissus is really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We stop by Home Depot quite often. For common plants, the prices are good. I bought my primroses there last Friday. I haven't managed to get them planted yet. Maybe today?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spring in a box indeed. Painting your plants should be a misdemeanor. Gluing straw flowers onto cactus definitely a class A felony.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.