-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, March 24, 2017

Searching for Spring at Watson's

It's spring and, because of our cold temperatures, the garden is waking up a bit more slowly than usual.  Fortunately, nurseries are brimming with color to make up for spring's recalcitrance this year. A visit to Watsons at the beginning of March was just the thing to soothe a  winter-weary soul!




Primula vulgaris is ubiquitous this time of year and for good reason.  this bright flower gives months of vibrant color, is very cheap and will come back year after year or you can toss them out with little guilt if you don't want to plant them.


It was not quite spring yet and the explosion of early color gave me hope.


Cute.


So, this hellebore in a six inch pot was incredibly floriferous for such a small plant so it had to come home with me.

You'd think that I don't already have too many hellebores because this one jumped into the cart as well.

Must include iris reticulata in my bulb order this fall!  I so admire them in other gardens and enjoy seeing them on friends' blogs.

Oh, that glorious fragrance!

Looks like summer already.




 Did Mr. McGregor finally find an effective trap for Peter Rabbit?

Would these be considered woody succulents? 

Hope you have an opportunity to hop on in to a nursery near you soon!
Happy Weekend.  Speaking of weekends, the Heronswood early spring sale and garden open will be taking place on Saturday, April 1.  Will I see you there?

15 comments:

  1. That red-veined Hellebore is gorgeous. I have tons of Hellebores and just ordered at least half a dozen more. Nothing like a plant that has no problems!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watson's is so pretty and inspiring. That second grapevine basket gives me an idea for my door.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopping to nurseries around town is about the only thing to do with the rainy season not letting up. So dreary it is outside that even those pink flamingos starting to look good to me. It seems to me that the cold winter had done away with many slugs: primroses and Ligularia in my garden are both (almost) without wholes this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore that wreath at the top of your post. I wonder if I can still find dwarf daffodils at my local garden center...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, those pink flamingos! I want them desperately. I'm right there with you on ordering some Iris reticulata this fall, especially that gorgeous deep blue color in your photo. I've been seeing them on other blogs too and realizing I need them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be hoping out to Sauvie Island tomorrow. Andrew will be with me though, so probably won't go too crazy with the plant purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet spring wreaths and baskets. I wish I had a Watson's near me. Our nurseries are uninspiring to say the least. And Heronswood, too? You're killing me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spring flowers are always especially colorful and welcome. I see that the first flowering trees are finally beginning to bloom. I bought primroses at Home Depot today. Now I need the rain to stop so I can plant them in the planters on my front porch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm ready. Oo-la-la, so many colorful selections. But I'm especially drooling over the Hellebores.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice hellebores! I have too many of them too, but still - I'm always hunting for the next irresistible one. Wish I could make it up there for the Heronswood sale - for no other reason than to wander around the gardens. It's such a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this is a place where you could get in a lot of trouble (or should I say another place lol). The primrose look so bright and would be hard to resist on a cold, gray day, but the hellebore would just jump on in the cart. No resistance necessary!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow! so many bright colours, must be such a contrast after snow. Poor Peter Rabbit, how can he go home to his mother for some camomile tea?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous pink hellebore, good choice Peter! I'd add more red primulas in my cart. I plan to go to a nursery when snow finally melts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been hopping around nurseries for several weeks now, but they only really started filling out and looking spring-like in the last week, maybe two. Somehow there have been just enough breaks in the rain for me to get most of my purchases in the ground, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That’s why I love spring because you just can’t ignore the beauty of flowers in this season.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.