-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, March 27, 2017

In A Vase On Monday - Rain, Rain, Go Away!

We've had a cold and wet spring so far with no significant change predicted for the next few weeks.  Despite the sogginess and chill, plants are blooming and beginning to leaf out.  My choice of container this week is a crystal pitcher because since it's pouring outside, it might as well be pouring inside as well.

While it would be nice to say that I went outside between showers, that  would be impossible as the rain came down constantly from shortly after dawn and continued through the night. Skipping a vase this week was a temptation but since I had to brave the rain to water the plants in the greenhouse, some flowers got cut on the way back inside.  Some camellias,  Stachyurus praecox, and Lonicera nitida ‘Baggesen's Gold’  got plopped into the pitcher.


Spring is full of possibilities for new life and a new gardening season as represented by a trio of pysanky eggs from the Ukraine  and a few glass eggs from Italy. 

The bright side of our cold spring is that snow in the mountains continues to fall and isn't melted by warmer temperatures which insures plenty of water for late summer when we sometimes run a bit low.

Just think, soon it might even be warm enough for eggs to start hatching!
Many thanks to Cathy at Rambling in the Garden who hosts In A Vase On Monday.  Click here to see her arrangement this week and to find links to those of other participating bloggers. 

10 comments:

  1. As always a lovely display. I need to get my eggs and chicks out and enjoy them before Easter. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 3 elements in the vase are in perfect harmony: simple and stunning.
    The chicks at the end took me by surprise: I laughed out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A delightful post, Pater, as always - I am glad you 'made the effort'! You write so entertainingly - thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chicks and eggs -- an Easter prequel! And a very nicely balanced vase creation too. I did manage to get some weeds pulled for about 4 hours on Saturday. The rain stopped just long enough. Lately the temps have been just hitting 50, which is warm enough for me. I run out as soon as I see the slightest sun break. It's a crazy way for a gardener to live, but it's keeping me sane.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! Only you (well, and our host, Cathy) would have not only Easter eggs but also chicks as vase props. The arrangement itself is very pretty - I doubt I'd have been as intrepid in my floral and foliage collection in the pouring rain. I hope you get a warm, dry break soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, your weather sounds horrible but you were able to put a positive spin on it though you probably don't feel very positive. At least you were could bring in a little colour and made me laugh with the chicks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The birds are at least singing now. that might mean eggs!
    That's a pretty pitcher full of spring!
    My kitchen table pitcher is holding daffodils from the grocery store. the Skagit Valley in finally in bloom and bunches of daffodil buds are now $1.95, finally.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely crystal pitcher and sweet props. Seeing Easter decorations zips me right back to childhood, when spring was a magical awakening, the thrill of flowers, candy and the Easter Bunny!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your arrangement creates a lovely pattern and the props are the bomb.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.