-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Zoolights!

Zoolights is the Point Defiance Zoo's annual holiday light show.  While the season is technically over, I love seeing lights on dark winter nights.  Makes me feel warm all over.  Or was that hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps?  Either way, here are some colorful pictures from this year's show.

We're in the soggy pacific northwest, right?

Swirling around the feet of the giant wire saguaros is a river of great plants.


Every year, I swear to check out the zoo during the day just to enjoy the gardens like Alison did.  See her post here.

Psychedelic plants, no paint required!

A flash exposes some lovelies hidden by darkness. 


Beautiful!  Loree's Christmas tree next year? 

A monkey puzzle tree wearing Seahawk colors.

I wonder what it might look like with a bit of snow? 

Skating puffins, not something one sees every day.


Our native Snowberry (Symphoricarpos) putting on a show of it's own!


Magical forest.



The "flame tree" changes shape a bit each year but retains its popularity as a photo backdrop for attendees.


It's hard to capture the effect of these simple white lighted snowflakes hung throughout a woodsy area of the zoo.  It was delightful in person.


If gazing at lights isn't your thing, you can ride the nifty vintage merry-go-round or ride a camel.

I looked at both ends but there was no pot of gold!


Mt. Rainier 


A crab being eyed by the lurking octopus behind it. 


May your winter be filled with light and love!


18 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing your pics, now there's no need for me to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Viewing the pictures from a warm living room is a bit nicer than braving the cold although that has its charms as well.

      Delete
  2. I love colored lights among plants. I bought anther string after Christmas to add to the collection from last year, still in the box. The old 40 year old strings in the greenhouse need to come down and new ones go up. Ambitious project for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lights bring out the kid in all of us, I think. I also got some lights on sale to put in my greenhouse. Perhaps it'll happen one of these days.

      Delete
  3. This is how bees and other insects see certain plants, right? Beacons of light and color...

    I have to admit that these are quite nice, even though I feel like this is not my cup of tea -- the MBG has its Garden Glow and I avoid it every year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. Hadn't thought about that but we decorate our gardens with lights perceptible by insects. Cool.
      I hate myself for loving holiday lights so much!

      Delete
  4. I like how they added lights underneath the plants in the first few images (desert garden shots), it ups the "wow" factor. As for the crab/octopus scene I wonder if that means the organizers saw this video: http://www.santacruzwaves.com/videos/octopus-leaps-water-grabs-crab/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link! Bet they did see that video as the crab is a new addition this year.

      Delete
  5. You really wring every last drop of pleasure from the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm slow to warm up to the holiday season but then hate to see it go.

      Delete
  6. Impressive! We had a similar light show at our botanical garden here in Madison in late fall/early winter. My photos weren't very good. What's your secret for photographing night light shows? These shots are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't have a secret, just put the settings on automatic but disable the flash, try to hold my hand steady (a tripod helps but got really cumbersome last year) and push the shutter release button. Editing helps.

      Delete
  7. We haven't been to Zoo Lights for a while. It was fun to see your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a bad idea to skip a few years every now and then as much is the same each year.

      Delete
  8. Much better than the lighted Santa's workshops I'm used to seeing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of really brilliant light shows in the area. People really enjoy them here where winter's dark nights can seem endless.

      Delete
  9. Wow - that's a lotta lights! The "flame tree" alone is astounding, and one hopes they're using LEDs. This is far nicer than our local light show at PIR (Portland International Raceway), where there are no plants at all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that's just too fun! Some of these are like looking at negative images. The colors are crazy wild.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.