-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Molbak's Sales

Being a large nursery, Molbak's has several entrances.  This was my first time entering directly into the interior/faux plant area.  Hmm.



On to the sale!  Today was the 90% last chance Christmas clearance sale.  I was told by a lovely young worker that they'd sold out of a lot of holiday merchandise this year before Christmas.  Good for them!  On the 26th of December, the sale starts at 50% off and the discount continues to get lower until the final clearance.  One of these rode in my cart for a while.  for only three bucks it would be fun.  Then I realized that I'd have to store it for 10 months of the year.  Back it went.

By the time of this final clearance, there was some of this.  Empty space is something rarely observed here!  Just last month, this was crammed full of all sorts of holiday decor.  (Forgot to do a post about that this year.  Oops!  Maybe I'll drag the pictures out in March just for fun. 

 There was still some merchandise.  We arrived at about 11:30 and I'd imagine that the really serious shoppers were there when the doors opened at 9:00 a.m.

Cute little ceramic jars which were found this way.  Not sure what one would keep in them...

 These pre-lit thirty-five dollar wreaths were a steal at 3.50 but I've got wreaths for just about every door in the house as it is.

A quick run around the outside nursery sees conifers taking center stage.

New banners hung.  refresh renew.   It's amazing how quickly the staff here moves merchandise around and handles the constant change of the seasons.


Sawdust-filled raised beds are back and prepared to receive new plants.  Notice the blue sky, a welcome sight at this time of year.  

Covered but open areas contain plants hardy in our zone.  Sometimes I have to pinch myself.  How lucky are we to live in a climate that has seasons but is temperate enough to allow for winter-blooming plants?


Back inside to see what might be found.

 Lots of cool tillandsias!


Magnetic pots complete with little plants.  You could have a vertical garden on your refrigerator or perhaps on a file cabinet in your office.

A nice plant but I'm not sure what the craze is about.  The blooms look a little like a really large upside-down salvia to me.  Medinilla has a great publicist and it's own website!

Does anyone remember when these were the colors of Howard Johnson's Hotels?  They still are but now they've added a deep purpley cobalt to the mix.

Pots, pots, pots!


So pretty!


Notice the two aloes with the cool leaf arrangement bottom left?  You'll see one of them again!

No matter what your conditions, there's a houseplant for you!
 Dickia looking pretty and dangerous!

Echeverias in bloom.

Cute little Opuntia 'Santa Rita'   



Such a nice collection of both plants and pots.  The sale was on both indoor and outdoor pottery.  


Yellow and purple, a classic combination.  Okay, so it's plum - sue me!





Crotons have been speaking to me lately.  

One of these came very close to coming home with me but best to wait and see how the small ones that I have fare.  Plants that don't like to dry out between watering don't usually fare well in my house.

Here's what did make it into my cart.  The aforementioned aloe, a rhipsalis I'd seen during an earlier visit.  It was the only one left, obviously waiting for me, a Heuchera 'Electric Lime', a few tiny pots & some  holiday stuff.  I was super pleased to hear the nice person at the cash register tell me how much I'd saved!  

Next we went to Flower World about which I'll post next week.  Happy saleing all!

14 comments:

  1. This is one of the times of the year (there are a few) when I envy your climate. How nice it would be to have the local nurseries with this much going on during winter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have some great stuff at this time of year. I love the colors in that pot that's holding the Camellia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice haul, and those dyckias are so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for winter sales! You did well young man. And with that I'm off to the Portland Nursery Houseplant sale...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You speak Croton?! What did those plants say to you when you left them behind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They didn't say anything directly to me after they were left behind but I overheard them telling each other about how relieved they were not to be falling into my negligent hands!

      Delete
  6. That must be the pot capitol of the world. The foliage of the Mendenilla speaks to me...the flowers, not so much. Love the Aloe you bought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love molbak's, and their marketing dept obviously chose well to have sold so much before Christmas!
    But I haven't seen you 'do' Wight's in Lynnwood. For my money, they have the most and best Christmas stuff. Villages, many specially decorated Christmas trees, and lots of unique items for the tree or house....now that was a couple years ago, but I have been there several years and found the same huge selection of beauteous stuff......JAT>>>>>>>>

    SilverLake Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally made it to Wight's this year and, your right, it's some kind of fabulous! http://outlawgarden.blogspot.com/2015/12/i-finally-made-it-to-wights-home-and.html There was so much to see that it was almost overwhelming. Can't wait to go back. Must get on their email list to receive notices about sales, etc!

      Delete
  8. My mom was there just a day or two ago and she talked about how empty it was--hard to imagine, but now I've seen it! She said that they were taking advantage of the brief downtime between seasons to take stock inventory.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was shocking to see how bare it was there in some parts.
    I don't do indoor plants anymore, and I certainly don't need any more holiday decor, so this time you didn't temp me to rush out. I did enjoy all the pretty pictures though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, Peter you're lucky to live in warm climate, I envy you! The serious shoppers 'swept' all plants, ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so boring here in NE Indiana. And I'm such a wimp. Cold is NO fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.