-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

New Plants!

Many nurseries invite you to be part of a "club," (preferred customer, etc.) and issue points for dollars spent during the season which can be redeemed in a certain time frame; some issue printed "dollars" at a certain rate per actual dollar spent.  Watson's is one of the latter.  Fortunately, I kept track of my "Dan Dollars" (Dan Watson is the founder/owner) this year and needed to cash them in before Christmas Eve so some shopping was definitely in order!  

 Saxifraga 'Eden's Dark Margin' (Bergenia) paired with Heuchera 'Electric Lime' (from Molbak's) and Heuchera 'Electra.'  'Electric Lime' turns bright chartreuse in the summer and transforms to this golden-leafed, ruby-veined beauty.  Don't know about 'Electra' but they both look good with the Bergenia's winter color.

Because one can never have too many Cyclamen - Cyclamen coum 'Silver Select'  from Flower World.

Who can resist such bright color in the middle of winter?  I'm weak, look here.   Primula vulgaris (one of six or seven) from Fred Meyer.

From Flower World's 40% off indoor foliage plant sale (50% if one is an e-club member as that gives a 10% discount on everything every day at Flower World.)  came this Cissus discolor.  I'd seen them there on a previous visit and loved them.  With this discount,  bringing it home was the thing to do.

There was only one of these Rhipsalis left at Molbak's 25% off house plants and all containers sale. This is another plant after which I'd lusted but decided to wait until the sale to procure.  Hooray that it was waiting for me!

The prices at Flower World are incredible anyway and taking 50% off spurred an impulse buy of three thread-leafed crotons to add to the remains of the Poinsettia challenge.
So, there you have it, the new plants added to the collection in December and January.  Have you added any new plants to your collection lately?

11 comments:

  1. There's only one nursery around here that does that, but their "Pansy Dollars" are a great way to justify end-of-season shopping. I love that Cissus discolor -- glad you got it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fun and rewarding to buy plants! We have "Rainbow Bucks" from Rainbow Gardens. The bucks are redeemed in August when no one wants to be outside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been to a nursery in weeks actually. No recent plant purchases, even at Fred Meyer. I'm going to concentrate on keeping the ones I have alive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I have become such a fan of Cyclamen after working with a special houseplant and seeing it resurrect year after year. Your first photograph in this post is stunningly beautiful, and would be fabulous in a frame or in a jigsaw puzzle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm...I wonder why nurseries don't do that here? Anyway to answer your question, yes, of course! Several things brought back from California and a recent purchase at Garden Fever of a Euphorbia platyclada, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yes, the mid Winter, chase away the blues purchases. No gardener is immune to this phenomenon. Fell victim to it myself at Molbak's last Sunday. They just received a primrose delivery, overwhelming in it's color and brightness. I succumb. Plus a couple of dwarf conifers, 2" pot (!) azalea almost in bloom, a miniature silver hellebore and a planter for them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful collection! No new plants here just spending a bit more time outside (love the chill in the air) enjoying the garden and the leaves of some of my plants turning reds and oranges. No freeze warnings yet so all the pots are still on the porch : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that croton! I ran amok last weekend, despite the fact that the local garden centers' shelves have remained fairly empty. Luckily, I had a gift card that defrayed some of the damage but both of the cards I received at Christmas are now gone...

    ReplyDelete
  9. No new plants for me, but I would have a hard time resisting that heuchera.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We added a few here, in Malaysia. Of all the plants, we choose SORGHUM!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.