-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Foliage Follow-Up January 16 - Late Edition

Foliage Follow-Up is a meme hosted by Pam at Digging on the day after Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day to celebrate the important role that foliage plays in our gardens every day of the year.   Better late than never goes the saying so here is some foliage that's caught my eye this month.

First up is one of my favorite foliage plants, especially in winter, Euphorbia x martinii 'Ascot Rainbow,' a 2009 introduction.

Artichoke leaves don't seem to mind the cold.

The Spanish Moss experiment seems to be going well.  It's difficult to tell sometimes if this stuff is alive or not but it's still hanging in there, even through our temperatures in the 20's in November.

Alstromeria psittacina ‘Vareigata’ from Xera Plants is looking especially nice even though it's still in its black plastic pot in the pot ghetto.

Agave 'Cream Spike'  in the greenhouse.

Mahonia 'Indianola Silver,' purchased in the summer of 2014 at Windcliff on an adventure with Evan and Vickie,  is still alive and has put on some growth.  Such a spectacular foliage plant!
Please forgive my tardiness.

17 comments:

  1. A teacher asking for tardiness forgiveness...

    Yay for Spanish Moss experiments! And thanks for the reminder I need to move my Mahonia 'Indianola Silver' out where I can actually see it (it's been buried by a happy neighbor). Now where did you score that sunshine???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sunshine only lasted long enough to take the pictures. Oh well, summer is coming, right?

      Delete
  2. How is it that I see Euphorbia x martinii 'Ascot Rainbow' for the first time this week, in three different garden?! It will be in my garden too as soon as I spot it in a nursery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a stunning plant and I thought that Swanson's had a nice display of it about a month ago.

      Delete
  3. I hope my Agave 'Cream Spike' looks half that good when it grows up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a baby in a less than a six inch pot. I bet yours already looks that good!

      Delete
  4. I'm loving that mahonia, Peter. And the name is good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a lovely thing? Indianola is the name of the town where Windcliff, Dan Hinkley's garden, is located. There were a lot of seedlings from which to choose and they were quite variable in appearance. Evan at The Practical Plant Geek got his and one he gave to Loree at the same time. Evan's has turned bright red this winter which he attributes to drought stress from this summer.

      Delete
  5. I just replanted Ascot Rainbow where a conifer collapsed on it. I have the perfect combo in mind but something always seems to go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ma Nature sometimes messes with our plans. Fingers crossed that this time she'll see how wonderful your idea is and not mess with it!

      Delete
  6. ¡¡I like the Alstromeria! and the Spanish Moss seems to be alive. Great foliage even in winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're lucky to live in a climate that allows for so much evergreen foliage!

      Delete
  7. Agave 'Cream Spike'.. droollll...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool about the Spanish moss! I saw a little bit of it growing near Raleigh, NC when I was living there. Some forms are pretty hardy! I'm never sure if I want 'Ascot Rainbow' or not, but I do love that orange blush it gets in the winter. You may like the stressed color of my silver Mahonia, but I really wish mine was silver like yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grass is always greener- or the mahonia is always more silver/red on the other side of the fence. The lavender/silver color of that mahonia is truly wonderful and I'm happy to have it look that way year round but red is such a warm and welcome color especially this time of year.

      Delete
  9. I'm very happy with my Ascot Rainbow too, it came through the winter like a champ. The Mahonia 'Indianola Silver' is very pretty, glossy, but doesn't look really silvery?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.