-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

What's Happening at the Seymour Conservatory?

A lot, it seems!  First up is an art exhibition, a few bit of which follows.

You may remember the garden and artwork of Claudia Riedener from this post.  The first work one sees when entering the Seymour is hers.

Triad
-Akio clay, glaze

"In an Edenic environment, three strange, fully-clothed figures appear.  Does their presence signal mischief or misfortune, a fortunate straying or eviction from the garden?  Do they guard the entrance to a eutopia or dystopia?  It's left for the viewer to decide."















Of course, there are still lots of plants to enjoy.

Unfortunately not labeled,  many specimens of this extremely fragrant rhododendron perfumed the air.

Azalea standards.  


In keeping with the art theme, this invitation on a door along with clip boards, pads of paper, and writing utensils. 





Tree ferns unfurling new fronds.

In the gift shop, measuring spoons for the gardener or grave digger. 

Changes are in the works and you can give feedback about future plans.



Which option would you choose?  What lies down the path for the Seymour?
I'll keep you posted!

23 comments:

  1. Love the Cactopi and Egg Box! As far as choosing an option, I have a hard enough time making decisions in my own garden! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making choices is difficult and I got lost in the descriptions. Must go back and study them more before sending feedback.

      Delete
  2. I couldn't make much sense of the options, but they had me at 'unrestricted pedestrian flow around the entirety.'

    The art is mostly lost on me including trowel-shaped measuring spoons but the live plantings are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that interesting as the conservatory is in a park so there's already 'unrestricted pedestrian flow' unless they're talking about the inside flow of people.

      Delete
  3. More importantly, what option would YOU choose? And wow, the Cactopi is just fabulous. I think the conservatory should buy that one and keep it there permanently!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't decide on an option yet but would want one that wouldn't swallow up the beautiful original building. You are right about the Cactopi and since it's located in the succulent/cactus area of the place, it looks very organic, like one of the specimens.

      Delete
  4. Love how they have an art display in the conservatory. If I had to pick one for my own garden it would be Don High's "breaking through". It mirrors the palm tree behind it beautifully. Evan may be able to help with identifying that awesome rhododendron in full bloom; I suspect its not hardy in our area. Regardless of the expansion option they choose, I think it's very cool they asked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could ID that rhododendron. All I can tell you is that it's a vireya (which I'm sure Peter already knows), and that it's definitely not hardy here. There are a lot of fragrant hybrids similar to that one.

      Delete
    2. They do a lot of interesting displays at the Seymour and it's fun to stop in periodically and see what's going on.

      Thanks, Evan. They have these in there every year at this time. Last year I asked and was given the I.D. but forgot which one it is.

      Delete
  5. Love the Cactopi! I don't really have a favorite expansion option, but I'm looking forward to checking it out in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This place is so interactive, with the kids' drawings, liaison with artists and inviting input from the community. Smart of them, don't you think? We all seem to be falling in love with the Cactopi. From what I could see, I was drawn to the G-Street option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Cactopi is way cool and is integrated very well! The Seymour is really trying to keep people of all ages interested and engaged.

      Delete
  7. What a fun display of art among cool plants! Thank you for the tour : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love the Seymore! These art installations are very interesting.
    Please do keep us posted on the new construction plans.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's great that the conservatory is involving the community in the planning. and I love the Cactopi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cactopi looks great here and would fit very well into your garden!

      Delete
  10. I probably wouldn't have even noticed the first art installation if you hadn't mentioned it. I would have been too engrossed in that gorgeous orange vireya! The Cactopi is brilliant. I agree with Loree. They should keep that one on permanent display. I always love your posts on the Seymour Conservatory. Hopefully I'll get around to seeing it myself one of these days. Maybe on my way south from the NWFGS...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The color of that vireya is gorgeous, matched only by the intoxicating fragrance. You're right, the Cactopi should stay! Hope to see you at the show and/or at the conservatory!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.