-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, January 18, 2016

In A Vase on Monady

The fragrance of Sarcococca  has been wafting over the garden for about a week now so picking a bit of that to bring in was a given.  Other than that,  my brain was empty of ideas when I headed out to the garden to gather something to throw into a container.  The red twigged dogwood from last week got thrown in on top after I cut some berries from Pernettya mucronata/Gaultheria mucronata and some vibrant blue ones from Dichroa febrifuga


This sugar bowl with the strangely large finial on top is part of a tea set that I got at a second hand & floral shop on Alberta Street in Portland a bit over four years ago.

These colors don't really seem to go together all that well.

Then adding red twigs?  Yikes.  I got the idea from the Pernettia shrub itself, a branch of which can be seen at the right of this picture.  The branches are red  with little green leaves and mauve turning to purple berries.  Hmm.

It seems a little jumbled and out of sorts, similar to my mood on Sunday afternoon.  (All better now, thank you!)

 It's not my favorite arrangement ever but it was another quickie.  In the dim light of the entryway, without the flash, the Dichroa berries look nearly black so the sugar bowl was moved to the much lighter kitchen where the blue color can better be enjoyed.

In a Vase on Monday is hosted each week by Cathy, master of the theme arrangement and prop usage,  at Rambling in the Garden.  Click here to see her offering and those of other participating bloggers.

12 comments:

  1. I love that sugar bowl! What gorgeous berries you have to put in there! At this point in the winter, all I would have to put in a vase would be snowy bare sticks and some evergreens :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I don't recognize plant names I assume I don't know 'em cause I can't grow 'em. Very jealous of those incredible berries. Quite a lot of drama for a sugar bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do jumbled and out of sorts quite well - it's lovely. I enjoy your shot of the cut pieces at the beginning, and then wondering just how you'll present them in the finished piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your arrangements are always so exuberant, Peter! The blue berries look great with the blue designs on the sugar bowl. The oversized finial looks almost like a citrus fruit reamer. I haven't tried cutting my Pernettya for berries but it is just the white one. The foliage is great in a vase, and the red twigs too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those blue berries (from a plant I've never heard of, much less seen, but which, thanks to Google, I've discovered is not only suitable to zone 10b but also somewhat drought tolerant!) are wonderful. You couldn't have found a better container. Even in a grumpy mood you come through!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness that sugar bowl is gorgeous and you have filled it with fabulous plant material...love those bluish-purple berries right in front!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! With the blue berries complementing the blue glaze of the vase nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sugar bowl is something else! I think I would place the lid somewhere nearby to become part of the arrangement. Those blue berries are to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another little masterpiece! I had sarcococca in the house last week and I think it made us both sneeze. I loved it's fragrance outside today, and I might have to just leave it out there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I quite like it! As usual. You are too humble. It looks splendid--especially with the vase, in the hallway ... on that beautiful table near the staircase. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, love the plants against the rich warm wood...so elegant!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.