-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, January 11, 2016

In A Vase on Monday

In a Vase on Monday is hosted by the inspirational Cathy at Rambling in the garden and nurturing my soul.  Click here to see her arrangement this Monday and those of other participating bloggers.

I didn't think about a theme or props this week but simply wandered outside to see what might like to be thrown into a vase (or bowl in this case.)  Since it was clear that it would be a foliage arrangement, this Russian crystal bowl was chosen.  Honestly, it wasn't because it was already sitting on the counter having just been used for our just after twelfth night party on Saturday.


I'd had my eye on the golden leaves of Choisya ternata 'Sundance' for today's arrangement as their bright golden color is especially cheery at this time of the year and the bush will need to be drastically cut back in a few months.  A few small conifer branches blew down from a tree behind the my school and looked so sweet that I wanted to include them .  Together they didn't do much so I grabbed a pot of black mondo grass (Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Nigrescens')

To tie the arrangement to the bowl,  some twigs of red twig  dogwood (Cornus sericea)  The weather and light were so nice that I took the arrangement outside to photograph it and didn't realize until posting this that the plants in the background make it difficult to see where the arrangement stops. Oops.

Happy Monday all!  What have you put in a vase today?  Why not share it with everyone?

20 comments:

  1. Clever and nice! Makes for a great outdoor display too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those golden Choisya branches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another stunning vase beautifully displayed in that red bowl. I adore how the colors just mesh perfectly and the red twig finishes it off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely cheery. You have such great containers, I always look forward to seeing what you will do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such drama! Takes a bit of the chill out of winter, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks lovely, very nice. Thank you for sharing, visit me whenever you have time at http://its-dominica.blogspot.co.uk/ !! Kisses, Dominica S.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done Outlaw! Oh and I'm glad you specified a "pot" of black mondo...I looked at that big tuft in the second photo and thought you were sure gutsy in cutting a handful from your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely contrast and so colourful...I blinked then reaslised that you achieved all this without any flowers...congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a brilliant combination Peter - great use of foliage and colour

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're very good at this, Peter! I'm glad you decided to join in on the vase thing on a regular basis. You're right that the black mondo grass was just the right touch to lift the arrangement to a new level and the red dogwood twigs pick up the pretty bowl beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a big fan of foliage bouquets and this one is a winner. The red twigs are the perfaect finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The red twig dogwood are perfect for tying the arrangement all together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks good! I resorted to grocery store flowers this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The red bowl really sets off your foliage, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The golden Choisya and Black Mondo grass are a stunning combination, Peter, and the red dogwood bark goes so well with the red glass bowl, very awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea to make a foliage arrangement and what a lovely contrast the black and yellow make. I trimmed my ' Sundance' a while ago and threw the trimmings away. What a waste, I could have made an eye catching arrangement.
    I love your Russian glass bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I liked the bowl from the get go and then to see the walk through to the final arrangement was fun!!!! I'm new to blogging and find our site magical. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.