-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, January 8, 2016

After Christmas Retail Therapy


Ricki (Sprig to Twig)  commented on yesterday's post "You really wring every last drop of pleasure from the holidays!"  It's true, fa la la's start escaping my lips as soon as the canned music starts playing in the stores on the day after Halloween,  (If you hear someone singing along while you're shopping, it might just be me.) and don't stop until the last decoration is safely ensconced in tissue, bubble wrap, old bags, leftover holiday print napkins, whatever and tucked into the appropriate tote.

I like to don the countenance and attitude of the Grinch to hide the childish glee that I feel  at the sights, smells, and sounds of the season.  Otherwise, I'd be "that" person who's a bit to jolly to be around.  It's wonderful that people smile more readily, seem to be in a happier mood, and strike up conversations with strangers a bit more readily around this time of year. Who wouldn't want that to continue?

I love that my choir holiday party doesn't take place until just after epiphany as it gives me another reason to drag out the decorations and to leave them up long after most people have put them away. It's also super cool to go to the after-Christmas clearance sales to add a few new baubles.   Watson's starts at 50% off on the day after Christmas and continues discounting in the days that follow. Last weekend, the discount was 70%  - time to shop!  

Probably brought inside on these carts to weather out the recent cold snap, the cyclamen were not part of the sale.  Very pretty though and will be a big hit for Valentine's Day. 

Table after table of ornaments and imitation evergreens and berries.  I got a few stems of red berries of various sizes.  They fit in evergreen arrangements so nicely.

Trees anyone?  


So much from which to choose.  The discounts will continue for some time until there are just a few tables priced with "yard sale" prices.  I was thrilled to find select Thymes Frasier Fir items on sale at 50% off.  These are NEVER discounted anywhere, even online prices are high so it was quite a coup!


Unfortunately not part of the sale, I'm still in love with the largest three-foot-tall angel, first spied last year.  However, at a hundred bucks a foot, it'll most likely remain a love from afar!

Great prices on select plants, too!  


Amidst the ending of this season were reminders that a new season is soon to begin.  Only five weeks until the Portland Yard, Garden, and Patio Show and six weeks until the Seattle show.  Spring isn't far away, friends!


Look hat was free!  People were loading them up by the cart full.  I decided to be happy with the silk ones that I have which require no water and are not at all picky about light, drafts, being put in plastic bags in the dark for ten months of the year...

If you're in the area, the discount will be going even lower as the days pass!    Do you hit the after season sales to plan for next year? 

Hobby Lobby Christmas merchandise is at 80% off and tomorrow, Molbaks is having their last chance Christmas sale at 90% off of all holiday stuff.  Perhaps I should go, especially since it's the final weekend of their 25% off of all indoor plants and containers sale.  Plus, I've got to have something to write about next week, right?

Happy weekend all!

18 comments:

  1. You do love Christmas! We basically have the big craft and big box home improvement stores, nothing like Watson's. Those prices are amazing. I'm also amazed you're hosting a party and power-shopping sales in the same week. Have fun this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the day of the party, we drove to a couple of sales an hour away from home. Crazy but I'd done a lot of advanced prep work the week before.

      Delete
  2. Yes you must go to Molbaks: your readers demand it. And since I didn't visit Molbaks at all last year, I might just drag my sorry 'you know what' out there tomorrow. That Heuchera and white Cyclamen arrangement is very elegant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since you insisted, I went and the post will appear on Thursday. Did you go? I thought that arrangement was lovely, too and was surprised to see it on sale.

      Delete
  3. I'm far from these markets but I'll go to nearest 'on sale', I'd love to buy cyclamen, Peter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like chavliness, I like the Heuchera/Cyclamen arrangement. Those red Thymes Frasier Fir baubles are spectacular too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the red baubles are cool but perhaps mislead you by not including a picture of what I was talking about. Thymes Frasier Fir is a scent that comes in soaps, candles, etc. smells very much like evergreens, and, for some reason, is very expensive. You should perhaps buy that arrangement since it's on sale and all.

      Delete
  5. Come to think of it I didn't visit any of the post-Christmas sales. What was I thinking!? (btw thank you for mentioning Molbaks houseplant sale - I thought I'd put the Portland Nursery sale on my calendar but I hadn't...yikes!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You rely on so much fresh and live material for your holiday decorating that it might not make as much sense for you. Those house plant sales, on the other hand...Can't wait to see if anything tempts you!

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year Peter ! .. I am so jealous of those glorious sales .. why do Americans have such great times shopping like this ... or maybe it is because you are close to the coast ? .. in any case I am in love with all these sales and the knowledge that even though you are a "grinch" on the outside you are just a big kid on the inside ! haha I knew it anyways.
    Thanks for visiting my blog ... I lost myself for a while and it might happen again with the possible renovation out look .. eeekkk !
    Take care !
    Joy : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sales sales I love sales.What Seattle show are you interested in? Yes Spring is almost here.

      Delete
    2. Oh Joy, it's okay to take a break from the blogosphere to take care of more important things. It was nice to see posts from you again, though.

      Delete
    3. The Seattle Flower and Garden Show at the convention center Feb. 17 - 21 kind of marks the beginning of a the new gardening season for me each year. Also like to attend the Portland Yard, Garden, and Patio show.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Okay, but there are sales in that direction as well, I'm sure!

      Delete
  8. I'm like you when it comes to Christmas…we could be a duet singing in the aisles. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.