-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, February 12, 2015

Visiting Timber Press and Lan Su Chinese Garden in Portland

The first stops on the 2014 Garden Bloggers' fling in Portland were downtown Portland gems within walking distance of our hotel.  First we visited Timber Press where they had, in addition to their many great titles, food awaiting us.  We all left with a delightful tote bag full of books.  Feeding both our stomachs and souls was not a bad way to start the day!

I took very few pictures here as we were all so enthralled with the huge room filled with garden books, all of which looked fascinating!  Someone was VERY excited.  I won't mention Tammy's name (oops.) but her blog can be found by clicking here.

Pam Penick, author of Lawn Gone! the blog Digging, and mother of the fling, chats with Leslie Bennett, co-author of The Beautiful Edible Garden and co founder of Star Apple Edible and Fine Gardening. (Both books published by another publisher)

Timber press authors who were also in attendance.

Our next stop was Lan Su chinese Garden.  The strong summer sun at this time of day wasn't the best for taking photos but the place was magic nonetheless!  As we entered the gates of the garden the wafting sweet scent of gardenias met our noses and led us to explore further.    The way both interior and exterior spaces play with light is beautiful.

Views like this might make one think he was in the country.

Other views remind us that we're in the middle of a city.


For more about the history of the garden, click here.  To learn more about the garden and to take a virtual tour, click here

Scholar's Study.

Matthew (The Lents Farmer)  and Denise (A Growing Obsession) walking through an opening in a wall. 






 Tranquil garden.  Is that a Borg cube in the background? 




These screens in the garden walls that allowed partial views of the gardens on the other side were beautiful and fascinating to me. 

This was my first visit to a Chinese garden and I found the experience amazing.  Must spend more time in Portland to visit this gem again!



Have you noticed the variety of pebble mosaic paving? 

It is perfectly acceptable to remove shoes and enjoy a foot massage while touring the garden.  

Laura (Gravy Lessons) enjoying the tea house.




19 comments:

  1. I love Lan Su. Thanks for the tour! The varying pebble mosaics were possibly my favorite part, after the plants of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm embarrassed to admit that this was my first visit but it certainly won't be my last. Always glad to bring you a little of the Northwest!

      Delete
  2. In addition to loving the mosaic pebbles paths, I adore the Chinese way of framing choice views in the garden through a doorway or circle entry (especially the circle ones), thus creating small vignettes. A Chinese garden opened not too long ago in South Seattle, adjacent to the community collage arboretum. You get two for the price of one (both are free). During the spring and sumer the college also have a garden center with plants for sale; proceeds support their horticulture department.
    In case you are interested: http://www.southseattle.edu/chinese-garden/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the info and link. I heard great things about it a while ago but it slipped my mind until now. Must visit this summer!

      Delete
  3. Lovely memories :) that was a great start wasn't it? And loved the Chinese Garden, wish we had more time to spend in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great start! It would have been nice to spend more time there but there were so many amazing gardens yet to see!

      Delete
  4. You have MORE fun! I'm not a huge fan of Chinese architect (a bit too ornamental for my personal taste), but it looks like a most interesting tour, and your photos are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very fortunate to attend the fling and enjoy such wonderful people and places. The team in Portland did a great job of putting the tours together. Thanks for the compliment!

      Delete
  5. I missed both of these Fling visits, so thanks for the recap...and also the great people pix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you missed these! Fortunately you live close enough to see them any time. Sometimes, I like the people pix as much or more than just the empty gardens.

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh! There I am! I was so thrilled to be at the Fling! I would love to go back and see everything again but at a much slower pace. I'd love to have time to just poke along through Lan Su. I love the juxtaposition of the Chinese garden against the skyscraper. What a contrast. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being at the fling is always exciting & meeting you in person was a high point of Portland. The brevity of the visits is a trade off for seeing so much in a long weekend!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the love, amigo! I knew when I gave you that giant hug on the bus that you were a keeper. I wish you were going to Toronto.

      Delete
  7. Oh you got such fab pictures of some of the Fling attendee's! I love your shot of Lan Su with Portland's skyscrapers behind! Great post on the Fling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer. Gardeners kind of glow when they're around plants & other gardeners.

      Delete
  8. Oh, I love the mosaic paving!
    There is a new Chinese garden at South Seattle community College, adjacent to their arboretum. It Chinese garden isn't settled in with plants yet like the Portland garden, and the interiors are not as lavish. The grounds are still being created. But you might like to visit both the arboretum and the Chinese Garden @ South Seattle Community College.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The paving is great! Thanks for the heads up about the SSCC Chinese Garden! I'll definitely get up there some day soon.

      Delete
  9. Fun memories and what a beautiful garden to start off the Portland Fling!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.