-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Northwest Flower and Garden Show 2015 Blackwaters Metal

One of the vendors that I look forward to seeing at the show is Blackwaters Metal.  I'm a fan of both their work and the fact that Bob and Melanie Delaney are always coming up with new designs.  See previous posts here. This year, several new designs caught my eye like this elephant.


The 12th man welcome sign is new and the quintessentially Pacific Northwest totemic designs continue to be favorites.

I have a thing for faces in the garden so these were right up my alley!  This combination of concrete and metal is new for Blackwaters and I like it although I prefer the matte finish of the bottom one to the glossy finish of the top two.  

I also like Blackwaters Metal's prices!


Also new this year are several fairy designs.  Alison chose some of these to take home.



Doesn't everyone need a moose head hanging in his den? 

Comes in a variety of sizes to compliment the dimensions of your room!

Hope you enjoyed these whimsical rusty metal pieces as much as I did!  If you live in Portland, Blackwatrers will be coming to the Yard, Garden, and Patio show in a couple of weeks in case you saw something you can't live without!

21 comments:

  1. Very creative and well done work. I'd look forward to seeing what's new each year too. Loved seeing our sugar skulls mixing it up with traditional designs from your region.

    Looking forward to much more from the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a treat to see your sugar skulls with our totemic designs! I really admire this fellow's creativity. Y'all should come up to the Seattle Show one of these years!

      Delete
  2. They do make some great stuff. I might have to get one of those native American fish designs for the fence behind my stream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of those would be great behind your stream! Maybe an octopus too!

      Delete
  3. Such great stuff! You know that rusted metal always looks best when combined with greenery... they should partner with a plant vendor next year and really make those pieces pop!

    Gardens need more metal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always knew you were a heavy metal kind of dude! You're right, rusty metal looks best with greenery.

      Delete
  4. I've been wondering for a while what was missing in my den. I'm glad this problem is figured out and I can move forward. I enjoy the artistic innovation of Blackwaters Metal, but after looking at last year's post I must admit the Green Man is still my favorite! You are luck to have it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The green man is a favorite of mine, too! I haven't looked outside lately. Hope it's still there! (Sometimes things disappear from my garden.) Yes, an elephant or moose head is just the thing for the den of an intrepid explorer/hunter like yourself!

      Delete
  5. I am a fan of rusty metal. I'm still trying to dig out ancient tractor parts that are held by huge juniper roots. Unfortunately, He-Who-Mows-and-has-welding-Equipment is not as keen on undertaking my follies as I am. We should move to the PNW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jean, you'd love it here! It almost never gets too warm in the summer to work outside and the winters are usually very mild. The trade off is that in western Washington, we can't grow large beefsteak tomatoes very well in most years because of our cool nights. In the Portland(Oregon) Vancouver (WA) area, they grow beautifully. We can grow cherry tomatoes nicely and Better Boy, Early Girl, and Stupice do well. How fun it would be to have you in this area!

      Delete
  6. These are great! And the prices look reasonable too. Next time you see them, tell them they need to pay a visit to Southern California!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let them know but they already do a few hundred shows a year just in this area and So Cal is a bit of a drive for them.

      Delete
  7. I own several flat, black pieces in NW Indian designs. I like their stuff too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh! I do love me some metal art! Too bad they don't have a shop out here. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the sugar skulls. Did you leave with one of the faces? (I agree about the matte one being better, blends in nicely with the surrounding leaves)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember admiring the moose and all the sugar skulls and faces (the one you bought), but how the hell did I miss the elephant??? Too cool...

    ReplyDelete
  11. The elephant and moose took my fancy, such a shame they are so far away!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.