-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, February 6, 2015

Random Friday

Some random shots from the weekend past.  First up are a few pictures from Furney's Nursery in Des Moines.

Love those Trachycarpus fortunei and dig the great purple foliage on the rhododendrons in the foreground.

A sure sign of spring is the appearance in stores of summer-flowering bulbs for spring planting. I decided to try a few things that I hadn't grown before and that might like to grow in a warm greenhouse along with the tomatoes.  I got a couple of Tuberoses (Polianthes tuberosa,) some Gloriosa superba (Gloriosa lilies,) and some Nerines for fall color outside.

Another sign of spring. Aren't the green markings on Galianthus beautiful?

"There's always an Agave" as Loree says.  Here are some lovely Agave schidigera 'Shira ito no ohi' whose label says it's hardy to zone 8.  Perhaps with really sharp drainage and an umbrella over it for the winter.

 Tibouchina's saturated purple flowers and red fuzzy buds were tempting!

Sleepy kitty on an overstuffed chair made me smile.

Now we have my favorite plant...this week - Moss and Lichen.  They grow so well in our climate and beautify just about every surface that doesn't move. These were spied at Jungle Fever Exotics Nursery and Dig.


Cool little trumpets or are they tiny alien life forms? 



This light green stuff is a favorite as it covers some deciduous  trees and makes them glow in the winter against the more somber greens of Douglas Fir and cedar.



 In some parts of the world they try very hard to emulate the moss covered surfaces which we have everywhere.  How lucky we are to live where we do!


To learn more about our "Mossy Paradise" and see some great pictures, click here

Happy weekend!  

28 comments:

  1. A sure sign of spring here is all the seeds and seed starting kits appearing in the local garden centers. Yes, we Midwest gardeners envy you all that beautiful moss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray for spring! We notice the moss a little less in the summer when the leaves are on the deciduous trees and things dry out a bit. This time of year (PNW Rain Festival Oct 1 - July 5) moss is the star!

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't mind one or two of those Shira Ito No Ohi, sizes as big as those are still hard to come by here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you like me to get some, bare root them and send them to you?

      Delete
  3. I go out after every storm and pick up bits and pieces of lichens and moss. My favorite of the non-flowering plants is British Soldiers with the little red fruiting bodies. The trumpet shaped ones are a close second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just getting some lichen and moss growing on a few of my trees and am very excited!

      Delete
  4. Fabulous shots of our beautiful lichens and moss. We are so lucky to live here, where they are so prevalent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alison and you're right, we're lucky indeed!

      Delete
  5. Lovely lichens and magnificent mosses. Oh my rainy Pacific Northwest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Moss and lichens for sale? Very cool, so appropriate! As opposed to an early client, 20 years ago, who wanted Scotch and Irish mosses for his shady area...in Abq...should have run, then sold my house and moved.

    Agaves with umbrellas...a great work picture for up there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The moss and lichens weren't for sale but I saw them growing on things at those nurseries. It's amazing how many different mosses grow just about everywhere here. People actually buy products to get rid of the stuff in lawns, on roofs, fences, etc. Can't believe someone thought moss would be a good idea in Abq!

      Delete
  7. The velvety foliage of Tibouchina would make it a must-have even without the spectacular flowers...if I had a greenhouse. Not that I'm complaining. Got plenty of that moss and lichen...hooray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a great Tibouchina with big furry leaves from Rare Plant Research that I love! The flowers are smaller and not quite as showy as the one pictured here. Glad you have plenty of moss and lichen!

      Delete
  8. Awesome moss and lichens. Happy weekend to you, Peter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right back at you, Hoov! (The happy weekend, not so much the moss.)

      Delete
  9. I love your moss and lichen photos. I really like these weird and lovely plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something very comforting about our pacific northwest moss covered trees.

      Delete
  10. I'm proud to say I have all these moss and lichen growing in my garden. Love the lichen, not so much the moss. I'm battling moss, yanking it out whenever I can. The moss always wins...

    ReplyDelete
  11. You certainly do have some luxurious moss and lichen. I have some spots where the moss grows well on and between pavers, but not so much on trees.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Peter, the other day while looking for bare root strawberry plants, I succumbed to a Gloriosa lily too. Earlier I saw them for sale on the Annie's Annuals' website for $25 so while at the nursery, I thought, heck, for $6.99, I'm getting a bargain. We'll have to compare notes in August. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Moss is replacing grass in my garden. It just needs to stay green through the summer!
    That Galianthus is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love seeing stores with new nice bulbs and always stop me to buy some more. Lovely moss when it's on your photos, Peter but I hate it when I see moss on the apple tree trunk.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love those Moss and Lichen...not that frequent where I live, so they are like a little treasure for me :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.