-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

A Northwest Flower and Garden Show Mystery

One of the display gardens at the Northwest Flower and Garden Show was this beauty called "A Moment to Remember" by Nature Perfect Landscaping  which looked like this on Tuesday morning.  Notice the pink and white carnations around the platform at the end that reflect in the pool, the white hydrangeas flanking the gates, and the two shades of pink carnations among the white hydrangeas on the sides of the step.  Remember this moment!


Because on Thursday morning at 7:30 a.m.the garden looked like this.  Like Pete Seeger, The Kingston Trio, and Peter, Paul, and Mary, I wondered, "Where Have all the Flowers Gone?"  I also wondered how they got the carnations and later the moss to stay in place.

Looking a bit further, the question was answered.  Here's where all the flowers went but why?  I think the garden looks more natural without the pink. Well, as natural as magically floating square stones can look but I liked the addition of the flowers, as if  were decked out for a wedding or a proposal, you know, A moment to Remember.  One of the thoughts behind this garden was the juxtaposition of two design styles, natural and formal, artistically united in a romantic setting.  Did someone forget to get Valentine's Day flowers?  Did the head office call in an say, "Bring back the carnations, we're running out!"  These seem carefully placed and not just stuffed into waste bins.  Does anyone know the answer to this mystery?

This image taken by my pal Anna at Flutter and Hum (used with her permission) shows the moss replacement and two orchids about which Anna sid, "...I was let down by the symmetrical placement of tow Phalaenopsis orchids, like two sentinels at the end of the draw bridge.  It just seemed goofy." 
This one piqued my interest, but I was let down by the symmetrical placement of a couple of Phalaenopsis orchids at the end of the path.

Either way, it's a beautiful garden and I especially loved the flat round light colored rocks with the darker ones between.  

22 comments:

  1. Someone made fun of their pink carnations so they packed them up and went home? Given the theme I think pink works. A few more pink orchids might have also worked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all good, liked it both ways but couldn't figure out the change.

      Delete
  2. That was odd. Maybe someone on the design team just had a change of heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first thought on seeing the first photo of this garden in an earlier post was that it looked like the entrance to a very expensive cemetery. I have not changed my mind, except that I do like the view that Alison showed today of the stones and conifers on the back side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cemetery/Wedding - six of one half a dozen of the other:)

      Delete
  4. Someone must have had a change of heart: to me it looks better without the flowers (I can't believe I just said that...). One orchid on either side is just sad. Wouldn't a mass of 20 or 30 looked better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could have been a reaction to a comment by a judge or something. No orchids at all or a mass -either way.

      Delete
  5. I reckon someone had the strop, thought that the flowers were hideous there and in to the bin they went...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! I noticed the bag/boxes full of carnations and wondered what was up with that. Since I didn't attend the preview on Tuesday I hadn't seen the first version of the garden. How bizarre! Equally bizarre was the fact they stayed right there, next to the garden the whole time. I kind of wanted to reach in and grab a handful and toss them in the air!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have loved to have seen you do that and maybe start a flower tossing trend!

      Delete
  7. My impression on Wednesday was "Why?" to the carnations. But then I realized that it was supposed to look like it was set for a wedding. I guess the wedding was over?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The train on the bride's dress kept falling into the water, mother of the groom's heels were very high, she drank a bit too much before the ceremony, stones above the water looked too much like the water's surface in her altered state, oops. Let's hope the honeymoon was less of a problem.

      Delete
  8. I thought "wedding" when I saw the first photo. Despite the theme carnations seem to ordinary and formal a flower to use in such an otherwise elaborate display. Personally, I like the second, more natural look better (minus the orchids). Perhaps they wanted 2 different views to fit the wants of different publications covering the event?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kris, I never thought of that! I bet you're right!

      Delete
  9. Hmm, yes, I thought the carnations looked odd with such natural plantings and rocks. It did seem odd that they removed them after the second day, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nature was just dressed up a bit for the "Moment to Remember." The element of fantasy is one of the things I like about the show. Tulips and Pelargoniums,Delphiniums and Daffodills, Roses and Hyacinths all blooming togehter - it's all good.

      Delete
  10. Hiya, I can provide a little info on this. Nature Perfect never planned on keeping the flowers for the whole Show, simply because they were progressively looking less fresh.
    They also made the change after finding out that the garden judges didn't agree with them.
    Thanks for posting!
    -Courtney
    NWFGS social media

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for shedding some light on the "mystery," Courtney! It's always interesting to know why certain things are changed in gardens. Thanks also for all the work you put into the show as it's a high point of my gardening year!

      Delete
  11. Flowers were not a bad idea, but those flowers, in those locations - no. Perhaps if they had worked in something more fitting to the overall design they wouldn't have ended up in the trash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you've hit on something there! I loved the idea of the naturalistic and formal elements mingling and the garden being "dressed up" for an event. Maybe your idea of a less formal floral display in the center would have been just the thing!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.