-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, February 13, 2015

A Small Pot Addiction

It all started a few years ago when I saw cute little tillandsias in tiny terra cotta pots at Dig Nursery on Vashon Island.   They were adorable but I didn't buy any and later wished that I had.  Seeing tiny pots at a craft store reminded me so I got a few and got my first tillandsias at the Northwest Flower and Garden show a couple of years ago.  Miraculously, they not only lived but grew.  A new plant interest was born along with a desire to find interesting containers for the tiny beasts.  The egg holders were found on sale after Easter last year at a discount store. 


The smallest pot here just came from Dig a week ago and is a bit over an inch tall.

This pot is a bit larger and nicely holds a four inch Albuca spiralis which came from the NFGS.

Molbaks has been getting a lot of diminutive house plants in one inch pots. Today, at the show, they had florist cyclamen in full bloom in one inch or smaller pots. Very cute. How do they do that? Anyway, to go with the tiny plants, they've been getting a lot of similarly sized ornamental pots in which to plop the plastic pot.These came from Molbak's, Dig, and Ravenna Gardens.

It seems like every time I visit Molbak's they have different and interesting small pots that cost three to five dollars.  It's like penny candy used to be when we were kids, cheap and cheerful.

A metal pot holding some of the ball moss that came along with the huge box of Spanish Moss from Florida. While I now have more than enough tillandsias, my delight in lilliputian pots is still alive!

One of my favorites looks great with this little succulent from Dig.

A recent visit to Swansons yielded these hanging ovoid planters.  What would look good in these?  Tillandsias look a bit awkward in them

While I admire miniature gardens, having one myself is not of great interest.  However, these small versions of large pots make me smile.


This came from Molbaks a year or so ago.  

So, there you have it, my latest cheap thrill.  Have you found yourself going through a new plant or container phase lately?  Do tell!  (In graphic detail!)  Happy Friday the 13th! 

31 comments:

  1. Can relate to that, been buying lots of pots recently! Some very nice pots there with unique texture and forms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darling little pots, easy to see why you could fall in love with them so easily! I don't currently have a container collection, but I hope too in the future )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little ones are easier on the budget (3 - 8 bucks) than larger pots so it's fun to grab one every now and then to add to the collection.

      Delete
  3. Some of these would be great for tiny cactus I think.

    I have a feeling that if I had a tiny pot collection I'd end up losing most of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our windowsills are so narrow that these tiny things are the only ones that will fit. It's easier not to loose them that way. I like your tiny cactus idea!

      Delete
  4. I bought two tiny colorful square pots sat Ravenna on Wednesday. I was tempted by those tiny white honeycomb ones too. I may have to get more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Penny Candy is a great title for small pots, the more colorful the better.

    The ovoid planters might be perfect with some Rhipsalis because Mistletoe Cactus can easily lean in one direction. If there isn't a drain hole in the bottom yoghurt cups make good liners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Rhipsalis idea is great! I love that plant and how easy it is to propagate.
      The ovoid planters are only about two and a half inches tall but I could drill holes in them. On the other hand, they might look cute with some tiny water plants floating in them if I get too lazy to drill them.

      Delete
  6. These "tiny beasts" are wonderful. Not sure it's really such a cheap thrill, I'm sure you paid a pretty penny for this lovely collection. Despite my love of miniatures I don't remember seeing them anywhere. Note to self: pay attention!
    The hanging ovoids are versatile; do you have anything that would drape downward?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. only one of these came from the show so your power of observation is not faulty. With the exception of the first one, these pots were only three to eight dollars each. Most of them came from Molbak's which has an annual 30% off sale on houseplants and pots and another sale - all pots two for one. I like your idea about something draping downward from the ovoid pots and have a couple of things that will work well!

      Delete
    2. Oops, it was the third one that was more than five dollars.

      Delete
  7. I went through a tiny pot phase, mostly in relation to mame bonsai, but I was into other miniature stuff, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how we go through phases of interest in our gardening lives. What will be next?

      Delete
  8. I went through an old pottery ( Shawnee, McCoy) pot phase, just small and smaller size. I have killed lots of tiny plants in them. Some now hold artificial sedums. They look great and I'm not ashamed to say so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Artificial sedums are some of the best looking artificial plants IMHO and I almost bought a couple myself last weekend. You're still collecting Shawnee & McCoy, right? Just not the tiny sized pots?

      Delete
  9. The tiny pots are adorable but I really covet that Albuca, which I've been looking for ever since I came across it on Pinterest. You've got a plant shopping mecca up there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Logee's has Albuca spiralis in the latest catalog or you can order online. I agree, we have a lot of great places to shop for plants!

      Delete
  10. What a coincidence, I finally confessed to my container sickness just the other day: http://plantlust.com/blog/2015/02/plant-lust-contained/

    And I almost bought one of those Albuca...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, my name is Loree and I'm a pot addict... Off to follow your link & read all about your "problem."

      Delete
  11. I am a serious pot addict and will not seek treatment. I'm in the market for several BIG pots and can hardly wait til they start showing up at Home Goods because the ones at my local garden center are $$$. I love these tiny pots but don't know what I'd put in them. I never see tilandsia here. Maybe I just need to look harder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never been to a Home Goods but after I read your comment, I went today. No pots but what a fun store! Got quite a few inexpensive larger pots at Marshall's afterward. There are some places online that mail order tillandsias if you can't find them locally. Found some really interesting 2 1/2 inch pots of succulents at Home Depot that will be cute in the pots.

      Delete
  12. For me to find the pot for new plant is a problem, Peter. I may dedicate all day looking for it.
    Lovely pot on your last photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky to have so many places to buy pots (and plants) in this region of the country. Happy weekend, Nadezda!

      Delete
  13. It's a pretty harmless habit, with no doctors' visits involved. Since getting hooked on the "in a vase" meme, I'm on the lookout for pots and vases to keep things interesting. I especially like small ones to make the most of scant materials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your "in a vase" posts as you always come up with great and creative arrangements!

      Delete
  14. My artsy daughter created a lot of round flat or pointy pots and I've been planting some of them up. I'll have to post some sometime. I like your favorite ripply pot with the colorful pink succulents the best, it's like some form of cactus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see the pots your daughter created!

      Delete
  15. I came to see what real gardeners do.,...which is why I love bloom day...the onyx hellebore is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't call myself a real gardener. Obsessed, yes; real, not so much. Anyway, I agree that 'Onyx Odyssey' is a gorgeous thing and am glad you like it too! Happy GBBD!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.