-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Sometimes You Need a Plant Fix!

Last weekend, Alison, Nigel, and I attended the Tacoma Home and Garden Show about which I posted earlier.  We had a lovely time, enjoyed lunch at one of my favorite Indian restaurants, and they visited my messy greenhouse.  Because of the dearth of plant vendors at the show, I still had an itch to look at more plants.  With my patronage appreciation earnings burning a hole in my pocket, I headed over to Watson's.


Where spring was "busting out all over!"  Forgot to plant fall bulbs?  No problem, just pick up a few here and you can still have some spring color!

Because I got and actually planted many bulbs in the fall, I only purchased four hyacinths to throw in a pot in the greenhouse.  I didn't plant any of these and I love the fragrance.

These warm colors made me glad that I followed my note to self to plant more orange tulips this year. Of course, mine haven't yet poked their heads out of the soil.

They'd look very nice surrounded by something blue.  Maybe not spray painted Calluna vulgaris but something blue.

 It's always interesting to see the seasonal changes in this display area.  


Foliage!  A winning combination of Euphorbia 'Ruby Glow' and Helleborus Gold Collection Silver Foliage.

Helleborus niger 'Unico' was new to me.  Imagine this cream-splashed foliage brightening a shady area year round.  The white flowers are nice, too. (This jumped into the cart.)


Speaking of beautiful Hellebore foliage look at this!  I think it was 'Penny's Pink.' I've been enjoying the foliage of these and 'Anna's Red' that I planted last winter.

Heuchera sanguinea 'Snow Angel' with it's pink, cream and green foliage always catches the eye.

Adorable double primroses! 

With Acorus.  A great color and texture combination!

Everyone likes the word sale printed on a sign, right?

Some very nice houseplants to be sure but nothing that called my name.

This Dracena came close, even taking a ride in my cart for a time before going back on the table. 

Some very nice plants but none that I needed.

This gorgeous  Fittonia verschaffeltii (Red nerve plant) also rode in the cart for a while but didn't stay.

If I were in ancient Egypt, I might be worried.

What's better than a sign that says "Sale?"  A sign that says "Garage Sale!"  There wasn't a garage in sight.

But with prices like these, who's going to quibble over a little thing like that?  I found some big silk flowers that I'd admired on a Christmas tree earlier.  They (packed away already) look like a Dr. Seuss illustration of a red protea bloom.  At 10 dollars a stem they were too expensive for "fun and funky" but a a buck a stem, I got all they had left.

It's nice to see that along with seeds from local Garden Guru, Ed Hume, there were nice displays by Botanical Interests, a sponsor of the annual Garden Bloggers' Fling.  Thanks Botanical Interests!

The three Phormium that rode in my cart during an earlier visit  have new seasonal companions.  Still think these  P. 'Sundowner' are gorgeous!

Black and blue (and green) are a wonderful color combination!

Thank goodness that there were  more plants at which to look here!


29 comments:

  1. Watson's always looks so inviting and seasonal. Great plant selection and a sale too. I need to get out and start plant shopping too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do a great job of always having something interesting to see. Yes, it's always a good time to go plant shopping!

      Delete
  2. Great to hear that your trip to Watsons did satisfy your plant craving, frustration remedied :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of good stuff here... like you I love that Helebore foliage! I actually have that dracena and propagated it into 10 plants -- three plants in a pot looks fantastic! Finally, that you found something you liked at those prices was amazing -- one of those things that will make you keep coming back "just in case", right? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know when they'll throw up a garage sale sign or decide to add something truly special to the sale table!

      Delete
  4. I can't believe you used the "N" word. Since when does need have anything to do with it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did a lot of picking up, carrying around and putting back when I was there too. I might have been more tempted to buy some of those cacti if they had been labeled something other than just "cactus." I didn't even look at all the Christmas stuff, but maybe I should have. The houseplants all just seemed kind of ordinary. Although...I am thinking maybe I should have bought a Monstera philodendron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. They had a lot of good plants but something about them didn't scream "buy me." You could always hold out for a variegated Monstera philodendron just to flaunt your plant nerdiness.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad the blue heathers were early on in the post. I had a sudden urge to find the perpetrator and slap them! But the beautiful plants after that picture, displaying their REAL and beautiful colors, soothed me. The euphorbia and hellebore combo is beautiful. I'm a big fan of Anna's Red and Penny's Pink hellebores, too, and that Helleborus niger 'Unico' is new to me as well. Gorgeous! Gardening shuts down so much here in winter. I'm really in dire need of a plant fix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be suffering from gardening separation anxiety! I sill don't know why they spray paint plants when there is so much foliage that is beautiful naturally.

      Delete
  7. The blue spray painted plants really bothers me... I'm happy you didn't go for it.
    The next picture of the patio display made me forget the spray paint abomination. I love that orange- black combo on that deck.
    My tulips are vigorously emerging out of the ground. They are ahead of the hyacinths this year (or is it that way every year?) but I welcome them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those spray painted heathers have been there for a while so it looks like nobody really loves them. I'd better go outside and check on all of the bulbs I planted in the fall! Hope the squirrels haven't eaten them all.

      Delete
  8. Such a vernal post, Peter! I would have loved to visit there...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do that, put a plant in the trolley and then put it back - there is just too much temptation. I didn't say anything about my new blog, because it's a photography blog, not a gardening blog - I didn't think you would be interested. Being a gardener at heart I still like to keep up with my gardening friends though. Have a wonderful week Peter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! Your photography and words are so lovely and inspirational that it doesn't matter if it's a garden blog or not.

      Delete
  10. What a fun shopping trip! I imagine it might be more tempting to buy plants earlier now that you have your lovely big warm greenhouse/garage. I actually planted a 2 Helebore in Sept., they accidentally sent them to our local nursery. They don't like our climate, but one is finally growing the other disappeared when I wasn't paying attention. I am curious if it will bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. There are reports of Hellebores growing in Los Angeles so I'll bet there's hope for yours!

      Delete
  11. I've read several pieces lately about desire, the consensus being that we get more pleasure from anticipation than we do from the actual acquisition of something. So maybe you're onto something, filling your cart, wheeling it around and then putting most of your pelf back on the shelves. You do need to purchase a bare minimum, if only to save face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like interesting reading! I get the same thrill when talking someone else into buying something!

      Delete
  12. Interesting - the bulbs in pots, hellebores, and fancy double primroses are pretty much the exact same stuff I saw at nurseries in England two weeks ago. Must be the similar climate, because we do not really get that here. At this time of year, its exclusively indoor plants and if there is potted bulbs they are just for indoor decoration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the similar climate probably is the reason. English garden blogs are fascinating because in many areas, they can grow the same plants and it's interesting to see the similarities in the ways they're combined, etc.

      Delete
  13. Watson's is always a fun place to spend some time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like another great place to drop a load of cash but what in the heck were they thinking in spraying the heather blue?!? Does the color wash off in the rain? (I hope.) Do they charge extra for that? I really don't understand...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many great places to unload that cumbersome cash. It's a wonder I still have enough left over to heat my greenhouse! The painted heathers showed up in several area nurseries with the same tags. Must have been some grower's idea.

      Delete
  15. I like that you gave several plants a ride even if they did return to the table. I do that too, a great way to decide!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.