-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, July 5, 2018

Time for a bit of Shopping - Sky Nursery

We were in Seattle visiting gardens on Saturday and had a bit of time left  for some plant shopping.  Sky Nursery is located north of Seattle in Shoreline and it's always a treat to visit this huge place.


As usual, I don't need any more plants but it's always fun to look.  



Pachstachys lutea aka Golden Shrimp Plant has such an interesting and long lasting bloom structure.

Iresine herbstii 'Blazin' Rose.' Can you imagine encountering this in it's native habitat where it can reach five feet tall?


Plectranthus 'Velvet Elvis' appears innocent enough with it's happy glossy green leaves but it has a dark side...

And, there's always a begonia. B. 'Moracco' is interesting. 

This diminutive peachy white charmer jumped into my cart. One has to watch out, begonias will do that.

Solanum pyracantha 


Salvia apiana also came home with me.

Blogging pal Kris at Late to the Garden Party grows Lisianthus and I always admire them in her Monday vases.  I'm especially fond of the blue doubles and while the tag says double, the image looks like a single so they stayed on the shelf.

"To gild refined gold, to paint the lily, to throw a perfume on the violet, to smooth the ice, or add another hue unto the rainbow, or with taper-light to seek the beauteous eye of heaven to garnish, is wasteful and ridiculous excess."  Shakespeare's line reflects my feeling about the doubling of Oriental lilies but these Asiatic doubles aren't so bad.  They also don't look like lilies.

Shady characters. 

Heuchera 'Forever Red' echoes the color of Coleus 'Inferno.' Heuchera 'Fire Chief'' would also work nicely and make a gardener smile thinking of the  varieties being together.

The house plant section is a community unto itself. 

I was never a fan of cacti but Loree, the Agave Evangelist, made me take a second look a few years ago and now I'm smitten with their variety of forms, sizes, and ease of care. They have swell flowers as well.

Euphorbias like the one on the left and in the middle are From Africa while cacti are from the new world.  Here's an article about the differences.


Labeled simply "Corn Cob Cactus" Google says that's a common name for Euphorbia Mammillari but it doesn't look like the images of that plant and it has areoles so it can't be an euphorb.  Oh, the  problem of common names. It's probably Trichocereus brevispinulosus aka Indian Comb Cactus.  Major lust but I had to remind myself that indoor winter space is limited and plant hoarding is only fun if they have room to be healthy.

It was either "Assorted Succulents" or "Foliage."  Sweet Haworthia!

Tropical foliage 

Cacti/Succulent merchandise seems to be getting even more popular.






Pot is legal in several states, organically growing one's own food is trendy,  being anti-establishment is cool, and now this.  Hey, where did I put those black light posters and my love beads?

 My first trip here was more than 20 years ago.  After reading Dan Hinkley's Book Winter Ornamentals for the Maritime Northwest Gardener, I decided that I needed a Stachyurus praecox.  I called a lot of nurseries but Sky was the only one that had them.   The nursery has grown a lot since then!


Lotus are gorgeous in foliage and flower but I'm not willing to do the work necessary to keep them here.



While you can't tell from this image, the water plant selection here is vast.

These structures could be yours. Phone booth or outhouse with a view?


You can't tell from this image but this hydrangea, from the Seaside Serenade series has deep burgundy foliage and is named 'Fire Island'

 Seaside Serenade 'Cape Cod' is much more subtly colored 

'Wedding Gown' 

Berberis thunbergii 'Admiration'


I could go on and on but it's time to stop this and go water the garden.

13 comments:

  1. Another great nursery! Love that the house plants are in a “house.” I tried a hardy Lotus but it needed much more sun and heat than it got in my garden. I would love to shop that shade display as I keep planting trees . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some fun looking plants and goods there! Cactus accessory is all over here too and there’s seems to be no sign of this trend waning, not that I’d want to anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm actually really bummed that I didn't go garden touring last weekend but after the house painting following so close on the Hardy Plant Study Weekend, I was plant toured/peopled out/exhausted. I usually go to Sky Nursery at least once every year, usually in the spring, but I missed that boat. Now I don't have to go since I've visited virtually through your post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who is this Lori, the Agave Evangelist, you speak of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's an amazingly creative, talented gardener in Portland with a passion for spiky plants. She writs a great blog that you should check out!

      Delete
    2. Oops, her name is Loree, not Lori. It was three a.m. when I wrote that and I was a bit tired. Sorry.

      Delete
  5. "I don't need any more plants but it's always fun to look" is my mantra too! Although I make sure I have 2 hours to wander around and soak it all in, never a quick run through: Sky is one of my all time favorite nurseries to visit. The cacti trend is definitely ON.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yet another spectacular PNW nursery! Now that you have the blue Lisianthus, all you need is Dahlia 'Loverboy' and you can create your own story of love and betrayal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The problem with being (ahem!) of certain age, is that we remember the original trend. Gosh, that macrame brings back memories! Fringed leather jacket and hairbands worn NativeAmer. style. :D
    The cactus decor reminds me of Post WII Japanese ceramics that were everywhere when we were kids. Retro is in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have become fans of visiting Sky at Christmas time, but it is wonderful anytime. Thanks for showing all the fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked the ceramic cactus collection. Too many wonderful plants to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can see that phone booth as the TARDIS in a Dr. Who-themed garden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Golden Shrimp Plant was very popular here in Florida years ago. You would see large plantings of it at entrances to housing developments. Now you hardly ever see it. Great nursery...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.