-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, July 2, 2018

In a Vase on Monday

On Saturday, I found a new gadget called Easy Arranger at Sky Nursery in Seattle.  Chicken wire bent over the top of a vase might do something similar but this bent nicely, stayed in place,  and had no sharp edges.


The Romneya coulteri are trying to take over the world and were growing so far over the public sidewalk that it made passing nearly impossible so a lot of them had to be cut.  Might as well throw them in a vase for Monday, right?  This blue Russian vase was the right size plus blue and white go well together.


It was a blustery day so the petals kept blowing around but the Easy Arranger held the stems in place very well.  There were some yew clippings still on the ground from an earlier haircut so they were also used.

There were lots of buds too and I wondered if they'd open up inside.  Turns out, they do.  Also, petals and pollen like to fall all over the place.

Since Independence Day is this week, and there was a blue vase with white flowers, I looked for something in the garden that was red.  Lots of other colors in bloom right now but nothing red.  Fortunately I have a red wall.  So there you have it, red, white, and blue for the Fourth of July.
In a Vase on Monday is hosted by Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.  Click here to see what others have brought inside to enjoy this week.  

21 comments:

  1. One of the US IAVOMers used one of these some years ago and I had a look on eBay but they only seemed to be available in the US which seemed a shame :( It proved to be most effective in your Independence Day creation so thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful flower, and sounds like it is exuberant, too! The Easy Flower arranger looks like a good idea. Happy Independence Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Peter...is this the secret arranger you have been using all along? I thought your vases were wonderful before. Love the frilly petals.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your flowers are beautiful! Glad you could use your trimmings. Happy Fourth of July!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a good gizmo and easy to use. The Romneya looks wonderful in the blue vase and I'm afraid petals and pollen are a hazard of arrangements. I'm always collecting bits up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely flowers, Peter. They go well to the red wall and blue Russian vase.
    Happy July 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That wall certainly is red, although I have to say I prefer the shot of it outside on the table with the clutter of snipped bits. That looks like a very useful little doodad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that arranger....might have to find one as your vase turned out beautifully....perfect 4th of July vase Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just knew there would be red addition before the post ended. Excellent 4th of July IAVOM. I wish Romneya coulteri wasn't such a vigorous plant; I do love those flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That may be the best Independence Day arrangement I've seen! The Matilija poppies are messy, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fried eggs on the 4th to go with the sizzling sidewalks all across the nation. ;)
    Love the cobalt vase and that nifty floral arranger - a good find!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The floral arranger would be handy. I like the way it held your bouquet. Those big white blooms are pretty and the yew is a nice filler. Happy IAVOM and Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Peter, that turned out lovely. Your Easy Arranger is clever. I have something called that too but it's a different device. I'll look for the kind like yours. Happy Fourth!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad we get to enjoy your prunings so prettily arranged.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent! I would have feared those papery blooms wouldn’t last a day in a vase, nice to see otherwise. Oh and great find with the wire arranger, was it expensive?

    ReplyDelete
  17. That easy arranger certainly did work, lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have changed my Safari settings to see if I can comment.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Goody!!!!!! it worked - excited!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.