-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, July 19, 2018

The Garden of Chick Stamschror and Rick Guttu

Chick and Rick's Bellevue garden was open for the Northwest Perennial Alliance earlier this month.  Little did I know that this garden was near Tom's childhood home.  On the way to the garden we visited his elementary school,  the church his family attended in his early years,  and other neighborhood points of interest. 

"I started gardening about 23 years ago when Rick and I moved to Bellevue from Seattle.  I started by removing overgrown shrubs.  The prior owners had very few perennials planted so I started going to nurseries to add color and texture and continued adding plants every year. It didn't take long to realize I was hooked on my garden."




 "My garden is a mix of things I like with no formal plan.  I have a home business and people who come over ask if they can have a tour and say they enjoy my garden." 





My jaw dropped when encountering this bistro set that is exactly the same color as the Astilbe blooms.  Chick said it was a happy accident.  She saw the bistro set at a grocery store at an end of the season sale one year and decided it needed to come home with her. 

You may have noticed that Chick is fond of  purple.   "My side yard is mostly shaded with a purple bench ariea I call my Secret Garden." 


Glass butterflies exploring a tree. 


Surprises abound. 


Did I mention purple?   This repetition of color creates a rhythm about the garden that is soothing and still fun.

"My back patio area gets morning sun and evening shade."

And what color are the doors?  You guessed it!  Love this.








Two glass floats and a matching bowling ball.  How fun is that? 





Thank you so much Chick and Rick for opening your lovely garden for so many of us to enjoy!  

11 comments:

  1. The purple repetition really helps to hold it together. But that bistro set and the purple bird bath are outstanding. What fun it must have been to discover them and know instantly they were for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful garden with some really nice touches. I love the houses that has upper decks. Can you imagine their great view?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful garden! Despite the large variety of plants there is enough repetition that it looks cohesive and very well planned. I want that glass butterfly...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The glass butterfly is cool, that's a piece of glass garden art I've never seen before. I love all the purple touches. What an amazing coincidence it was to find that bistro set. I have a turquoise one, but I doubt I'll ever find flowers in that color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the decorative touches, as well as the fact that they don't overwhelm the garden itself. That glass butterfly is wonderful, as is that vase hanging from the garden gate. (I think I need one of each!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love purple...and red, yellow, blue, orange.... A very nice garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, pure DELIGHT! Thanks for sharing this wonderful garden. I love all of the purple and that gorgeous glass butterfly was amazing.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  8. It always shows when people love their gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm always so envious of gardeners who have such put-together gardens. It's so well cared for and has so many nice touches that really give it a personality.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of color all around and love the repeated use of purple, a whimsical 'signature' to add to her garden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really like how the gardener shows his love of purple.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.