-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, July 30, 2018

In a Vase on Monday - Sunshine and Sweet Peas

We've had the warmest July on record which, for us, means highs in the 80 degree range, sometimes hitting 90. (26 - 32 C)  with no rain (normal for this time of year here.) For people in most of the country this is normal or even cool summer weather but for us it's unusual.  The plants and I are loving the heat although dragging the hose around to keep everything watered is a bit tedious because I have so many plants growing in pots. 

In the cool of Sunday morning, I went out to see what might be suitable for a vase today and decided to cut some Lathyrus latifolius (Perennial Sweet Pea.)  The plant is native to Europe but has escaped gardens here and has naturalized in the US and Canada.   A few years ago, they appeared in my garden and I've allowed them to stay as they bloom from June to September providing a welcome bit of color.

A little glass vase I've had for years was chosen hastily and a few blooms of Buddleja lindleyana (Weeping Butterfly Bush) were added because they needed pruning.


Joining the vase is an orange and gold orb representing the sun which I've so enjoyed this month and a large bunch of basil that came home from a fruit stand on Saturday along with some lovely, locally-grown, ripe tomatoes.

Before going to another room, the sweet peas made a stop on the kitchen counter where an orchid, a  teacher-appreciation gift given in May is still blooming.  Also in the cast are various cuttings being rooted.


Most amazing to me is this Podophyllum delavayi that was accidentally knocked off of the emerging plant while trying to rid it of falling camellia petals in March.  Instead of dying, it's developed all season.  It hasn't (don't know if it will) rooted but it has brought me joy to see it lasting for so long.
In a Vase on Monday is hosted by Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.  Click here to visit her blog, see her Glow-in-the-Dark vase this week, and to find links to those of other participating bloggers.

15 comments:

  1. Lovely blooms. I admired both very much when I visited your garden, I'm glad you put them in an arrangement today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like enough flowers to have for a quick vase. The podophyllum is amazing and it will be interesting to see if it does root. But what fun to be able to enjoy it up close in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peter, your flowers are charming today. Rarely do I come across anyone else growing Lathyrus latifolius. I have it as well, a passalong from a dear relative many years ago. Your glass vase is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect vase for that bouquet of sweet pea. Don't you wish they were as fragrant as the annual sweet pea? Love that orange orb; the sun - not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What part of the US are you in, Peter, as this sounds very much like the sort of summer we are having too? The everlasting sweet peas are so useful, even though they have no fragrance, and sometimes I regeret taking out the one I had - which was very leafy as well as floriferous. Hope you enjoy your summer away from school (College?) and that you lose some of your heat soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in the Pacific Northwest part of the country - western Washington State. We usually don't get much rain in the summer but the temperatures have been hotter than usual. I'm actually enjoying the heat for the most part.

      Delete
  6. Your Podophyllum leaf is proof that everything should be put in a vase, you never know what might surprise you with its longevity. And wowsa, that's some basil! Making pesto perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised that the whole huge bunch was only two dollars. Couldn't say no to that. Pesto is a good idea to use a lot of it but I also like to put it in salads, and throw it together with halved cherry tomatoes,some olive oil and garlic (marinate for several hours, covered but not refrigerated - your whole house will smell divine) throw in some hot, drained pasta (I like farfalle) and some Parmigiano-Reggiano. It's great served semi-warm or at room temperature and the only cooking is boiling the pasta, nice for a hot day.

      Delete
  7. Those perennial sweet pea are exquisite. I've been planning to plant some - I already have the seeds so I've no excuse for my failure to do so but now I suppose I have to wait until conditions are more hospitable. As to your summer weather, that would be heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That pretty vase is a perfect setting for your sweet peas. How happy that they chose to come to you. I struggled for years to get them to establish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The vase is a beauty...such lovely shine, and the sweetpeas look just right in it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I picked a few of my annual sweet peas again this morning. They don't like the heat, and so the great bunches of long stemmed beauty are no more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a pretty vase - the sweet peas are suited to it. My annual sweet peas were a bust this year - the weather was so off. There's always next year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty! The sweet peas are so lovely. I really like the foliage of the Chinese Mayapple. So striking. That would be awesome if it rooted for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love sweet peas! Such a cheerful little arrangement.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.