-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Sunday, July 15, 2018

July 2018 Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day

On the fifteenth of each month, Carol at May Dreams Gardens hosts Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day.  Click here to see what's blooming in her garden and to find links to Bloom Day posts from  participating bloggers around the world.

Here's some of what's blooming in my zone 8 western Washington garden this month.

Rose 'Fragrant Cloud' isn't my favorite color but the fragrance is so strong and carries quite a distance so I love it.


A new rose crush is 'Vavoom' because of it's really unusual color and nice fragrance. 


A couple more roses.  You get the idea.

Tuberous begonias are a favorite so there are quite a few.  Believe it or not, this is only a small sampling.







This variety is called 'Valentino.'  I admired it on my pal Alison's blog and had never seen it before.  One day, visiting Swanson's Nursery in Seattle, there it was.

Here's a Reiger Begonia as well.  I've never grown these before but have heard that they make good house plants so there'll be a little less space inside the house this winter.  Oops.

Fuchsias


Dichroa febrifuga

Oriental lilies


A plant much-asked-about during my garden open on Saturday. Of course I forgot the name, Sanguisorba hakusanensis 'Lilac Squirrel'

Buddleia

 Geranium/Hydrangea mash up.

Mitraria coccinea

Rosa mutabilis and Penstemon 'Electric Blue' 

Daylilies


My favorite is 'Hyperion' because of it's large size and delightful fragrance. 

Brugmansia

Russelia x 'St. Elmo's Fire'


 Abutilons

Volunteer daisies and agastache


Oriental lilies, Abutilon 'Victor reiter,' and hydrangeas. 

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Fire Island.' The plant on the bottom with blue berries was the most asked about.  Of course I couldn't bring up the name. Clintonia andrewsiana  It bloomed and set fruit for the first time for me this year after living in that pot and increasing for about four years.  Maybe it's time to set it loose in the garden.  It's available at Far Reaches Farm.  

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Bavaria'

Alstroemeria 'Rock 'n' Roll'  There are other Alstroemerias in bloom around the garden as well. 

Garden swallowing Romneya coulteri.

Happy GBBD all. 

24 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, your roses are stunning! All the other blooms are fabulous, too. I'll bet the hummingbirds love your garden. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely blooms ! I think my roses are having a rest before a second go , that's what I'm hoping . Happy Bloom day !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had such fun visiting your garden and seeing you and Tom yesterday! I'm so glad I came late in the day and had you all to myself. This was like doing that all over again. Good thing you identified the Sanguisorba here because I took a picture of that and was going to ask what it was and then forgot. Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your visitors must have been in heaven! Did you overwinter the Russelia?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I just found it at Wells Medina Nursery on my last visit but I'm going to find space for it in the greenhouse during the coldest part of winter. They say that it's hardy to zone 8 but I know that's not true for us.

      Delete
  5. It was wonderful to see you and Tom and all of your blooms in person yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful blooms all, but oh those Begonias - magnificent!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rose 'Vavoom' really caught my eye. The colour is superb. But then your whole garden is an exquisite collection of sights and smells. Hope the open day went well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your collection of roses is breathtaking and so many varieties, each more beautiful than the next! I am enjoying your collection of lilies as well. Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every year when I see your tuberous Begonias I tell myself I'm going to give it another try. It would be fun to order some of those hideously expensive Blackmore and Langdon tubers from White Flower Farm. Maybe when my ship comes in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Until your ship comes in, you can order some unnamed varieties in collections (bedding or greenhouse quality) from Blackmore and Langdon directly. I've had success with them and, while the tubers were disappointingly small when they arrived, they grew into good plants. The colors, even of the unnamed varieties are truly gorgeous and more affordable. Still not the $3.95 tubers we can get locally but it's fun opening a package from England.

      Delete
  10. I am envious of your begonias. I seem to kill them in no time. Not sure what I do that they don't like. ???? All of your blooms are nice. The abutilons as shrubs? I have never seen them this big. WOW. Happy GBBD.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoa - that Russelia x 'St. Elmo's Fire' is amazing, as is the rest of your garden. I bet those lucky enough to visit it were exuberantly inspired!

    I have such a hard time getting Begonias to shine. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. It seems to me they get both part shade and lots of water. Any advice would be more than welcome, as you clearly know exactly what they want! - Anna K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about begonias. While I've had some really nice success with them, there have been quite a few disasters when the whole plant just up and croaks. They do like a bit of morning sunshine but then I've had some in deep shade that have been okay too. They're finicky and I can't figure them out.

      Delete
  12. With that incredible treasure trove of blooms, I imagine your garden tour visitors were in heaven, Peter! The roses and begonias once again had deep sighs issuing from my lips. I'd love to grow that 'Valentino' - maybe I'll have to see if begonias can tolerate an air conditioned house...

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many treasures in your garden, Peter. It isn't a wonder that a few may slip from the mind. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everything is gorgeous! What a lovely garden. I enjoyed the tour.

    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW!!! I love it all! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your garden is looking great! I love the wide shot showing all of your Abutilons blooming...just magical. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an amazing selection of beautiful flowers. Your begonias,as always, are fantastic, I must grow more next year!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful blooms in your garden,I adored all of the begonia blooms since we cant grow here in hot climate

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Romneya is definitely one of my favorite West Coast plants.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are all wonderful blooms. They look happy and welcoming.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.