-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Alden Gannon's Garden: The Morticia Addams School of Gardening?

Alden Gannon's description of his garden in the Northwest Perennial Alliance Open Gardens book has made me smile for several years now but ofr one reason or another, I've not been able to visit until now.  

This is the house next to Alden's. Notice how the colors of the plants echo those of the house.


Gannon gardens at both homes.  

"Call it the Morticia Addams school of gardening, I don't like flowers and often pick them off."
 "I buy ornate earthenware planters and fill them with dead sticks, and I dug up my evergreens because they don't look withered enough in winter."


"But beneath that Goth exterior beats a tropical heart.  Leaves. Really big ones like gunnera, petasites and darmera.  Grasses. Really big ones like stipa gigantica. Vines. Really big ones with shimmering leaves like parthenocissus henryana."


"Paris, trillium and arisaema hiding under the imposing canopy"

 "Bring a machete and blaze a trail to the backyard whtere you'll discover a koi pond and several as yet undiscovered species of newt and snail."


"At least there was a pond there was a pond there last winter.  First one to find it gets lemonade and cookies.  In the late spring the fences are draped with roses.  I promise I won't pick off their flowers until after the tour.  Just this once."

I only got this one bad picture of the impressive pond because I was so busy admiring  and asking questions about it.  It's much larger than it looks in this picture and the Aralia elata 'Variegata' behind the pond is equally impressive. Alden says they also swim in the pond which is home to some very handsome koi.  (Swimming with the fishes?)

Non gardener for scale.  The foliage here is huge and healthy!





A delightful poolside retreat.

Heading back out. 

Surprises everywhere.  One of the many things I admire about this amazing space is that plants are carefully chosen and placed, given adequate space and attention to grow to their fullest and most beautiful potential.  The garden is exuberant and lush but not cramscaped; an impressive balance.


Thanks so much, Alden, for opening your wonderful garden for so many to enjoy!

20 comments:

  1. Oh my, that description was as much fun as the garden itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK. If you have to do just foliage, then yes, do it big and lush and tropical. I like his attitude, even if I do like gardens with flowers most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so thought of you when I read "I don't like flowers and often pick them off." Vive la différence.

      Delete
  3. I love the lush foliage but "...I dug up my evergreens because they don't look withered enough in winter."? I just can't wrap my head around that kind of thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great space but, like you, I love evergreens. They feed our souls in the winter.

      Delete
  4. The plantation is impresive but I am definitely a "flowercentrist" gardener.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like both flowers and foliage so most gardens make me really happy.

      Delete
  5. By his garden description you can tell already how fun a character he is. Love his garden, very much to our taste, and that includes having a koi pond.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure Morticia would be proud of everything. Well, with the possible exception of the yellow flowers. Although, Morticia had a sister, Ophelia, who had a cheerier disposition, so maybe Alden grew those for her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those amazing, huge leaves -- everywhere! Sigh. Just can't grow them here. Why'd you have to remind me that you guys can up there with seemingly no effort? On a positive note: what a fantastic space!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been there but didn't remember it well. So lush and green and ...flowerless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an excellent foliage garden.Or gardens. I need my flowers but I fantasize about a large garden area devoted to foliage.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Flowers aren't always the drive in my garden. I love the tropical feel of this garden. I would swim with the fishes too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, another great garden. Thanks for sharing and have a great summer.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  12. Swimming in a koi pond would be delightful! Such a beautiful garden. I love lush foliage

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Gannon gardens at both homes"! Now that's impressive. He has a very happy and satisfied neighbor, I'm sure. I must have some green in my winter garden, otherwise it's too harsh. That aside, the perennials in the garden are wonderful; I'm particularly enamored with the Ligularia, flower spikes and all. Did you get the cookies?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Definitely a great garden for texture and foliage color. I wonder what the koi think of the occasional human invader? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought from the title that all the plants would be dead. Fortunately not. What I would give to be allowed to garden in just one of our adjoining neighbor's yards.

    ReplyDelete
  16. With foliage like that, who needs flowers?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.