-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Drawing Inspiration from Friends

Okay so the title was a nice way to say stealing ideas from blogging pals.  In keeping with the theme, I'm stealing some photographs to illustrate this post.  I'd long admired Pam Penick's fabulous entry planting of Dasyliron longissimum in her entry garden.

Photo by Loree Bohl, stolen from Danger Garden.  You can see Pam's post about installing this here

Back in April, I saw A dasylirion longissimum at Cistus Nursery and decided that I'd make this work somehow in my own garden even though it's way overcrowded.  


I almost gave the plant away because there is simply no place in my garden that would allow the same kind of empty plane that Pam's entry has but a couple of weeks ago, Loree reminded me of how well her dish planters worked in her garden without the negative space. 

Photo by Loree Bohl.
Then this post of Gerhard's Garden showed his Dasylirion  growing beautifully in a metal planter.  The universe must be trying to tell me something. 


While I love the look of rusty steel, it's heavy and often expensive.  However a recent stroll through a local hardware store (a big plant sale and 50% off all pots had nothing to do with the visit) had me contemplating shiny aluminum tubes that were inexpensive and light. 



The hottest and sunniest location at my place is out front but when standing the tube here it just didn't  work very well so the tube went into the greenhouse perhaps for use as a plant stand but it didn't  work there either

The pipe/Dasylirion idea still made me want to find a place for it  so it got put in near the Danger Gardenette. This isn't the hottest spot in my garden but perhaps the plant will still grow in this mash-up area.  


I


16 comments:

  1. I think you found the perfect spot for the tube visually. I hope the plant thrives there and gets enough sun. You know I've stolen so much from you I can only congratulate you on stealing from others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have had fun pursuing this idea, and your end result looks good. Well done taking an idea from a minimalist setting and adding it to your jungle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great. Besides, I like the idea of elevated gardening after all the available space below is used up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's such a cool translation of Pam's idea. "Steal it and make it your own" as an art professor once put it. Finding the right rusty steel pipe is a challenge and if it's not in the right spot then you're stuck. Great idea. I have some thinner ones from a roof replacement that I should find a spot for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent translation, I love it. Did you fill the tube with soil, or slip a pot inside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I filled the tube with gravel on the bottom, pumice, Turface, and soil to make it more difficult to move if it doesn't work.

      Delete
  6. A rare front garden photo! The tube looks great -- really good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bravo! Actually, three Bravos - to you, to Pam and to Loree!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What are garden friends for, if not for getting ideas and how-Nice solution.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great, Peter! Now you've got me thinking through that idea (again).

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like you discovered the perfect solution1

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice! You certainly have the eye...and the vision!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks good! Imitation is flattery - there is no diminishment of the friend so it isn't stealing. For me the challenge of something like that would be endless futzing to get it straight.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.