-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, May 4, 2018

DIG Nursery

For me, Vashon Island means DIG nursery.  In fact, although the island is a wonderful place, it was the description of DIG in the late Stephanie Feeney's The Northwest Gardeners' Resource Directory that prompted my first visit to the island and it was through many subsequent DIG visits that I came to appreciate Vashon's many charms, including a few other nurseries there.  Since the nursery and property are for sale, I worried that this gem of a place would perhaps not be as stellar as in previous years.  Turns out, the opposite is the case and there were treasures abounding, mouthwateringly displayed in Sylvia's inimitable style. 




Leucospermum 'Brothers' immediately caught my eye and reminded me of Hoover Boo and Kris's smashing success with growing Leucospermum 'Yellow Bird.'  Very tempting to bring one of these home but they aren't hardy in the ground here and, while the blooms are spectacular and long lasting, the plant itself is so-so.  I'd most likely kill it so instead only a picture came home with me.

Although, there are lots more buds waiting to bloom....NO!  Don't do it.  Well maybe...

Oh, that Little and Lewis fountain. 

NOID Ilex that always garners attention with it's laurel-like foliage and generous clusters of brilliant red berries.


Blooming Aloe.  Seems like a shipment from California has arrived.

Aloes, opuntia and agave, oh my!  Hey, what's that Restio on the right? 


Why, I believe it's Elegia capensis.  Major moment of nostalgia.  This was the first restio that I grew many years ago.  It made it through several winters outside as it had become too large to bring into the house and I didn't have a greenhouse at the time.  Finally, one of our Phormium Killing Winters  took it but it remained one of my favorite restios.  I hadn't seen it offered locally since the PKWs.  That first plant came from, you guessed it, DIG.  One of these had to come home with me!

 More agave.  (A. attenuata and maybe 'Cream Spike?)


The fab industrial water feature. 

Kalanchoe thyrsiflora 'Tricolor'

Meanwhile, inside the "Greenhaus"  the xeric theme continues.

That blue cactus on the right,  what is it?  Anyone?  I got one last year but there's a grower who is selling these without labels.   It's the most incredible color!

And it looks like there may be one with your name on it!



The kokedama craze is in full swing.  I like the idea of displaying them in these wooden vessels as it's similar to  the look of epiphytes growing in huge trees.

 
Anic is DIG's newest kokedama creator and a delightful person. 


It was nice, as always,  to chat with Ross.  Sylvia, unfortunately, was sick in bed  and I missed hearing her take on current horticultural trends.


Yes!  Finally, the kind of  kokedama that a lazy gardener like myself could accomplish!

Just plop a plant into one of these and boom, your done.

Back outside


Is that Yucca 'Bright Star' shining in the blue pot?  


 Orange!  (I'm guessing that's Berberis darwinii behind the Gazania Daisies)


Geranium (Pelargonium)  'Black Boar'   

So sweet.

Podophyllum 'Spotty Dotty'  

Come on in and sit a spell...if you can find a space not covered in plants.  This feels like home at the moment.





Time to pay for my plants and load the plantmobile. 
Hope you enjoyed looking around DIG.  We'll visit again soon.

Have a great and garden-filled weekend all and may the fourth be with you!

14 comments:

  1. I've never seen a Pelargonium with such dark leaves. Stunning. And all those colorful tables and chairs placed with their perfect plant partners. That nursery will be a sad loss for local gardeners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless an intrepid midwestern gardening team decides to move west and take over the operation...

      Delete
  2. "Oh, that Little and Lewis fountain" indeed. In my mind's eye I try to imagine it in my own garden, wondering how to display such a wonderful piece of art so it can shine.
    I see the orange berbers in many nurseries; is so tempting I think I would succumb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to get my butt over the water to Dig this year. I bought that blue Cactus a couple of years ago from Sylvia at the Flower Show with no label, I Googled it but can't remember now what I found. I had to Google that Pelargonium too to see what color the flowers are, looks like salmon-pink, which is kind of meh to me. Too bad they're not a nice dark burgundy. What great foliage. I would have been very tempted by the Leucospermum too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow another plant paradise! Never did warmed up myself with kokedama but do like the lazy version.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, another great nursery.

    I LOVE that Little & Lewis fountain!!!!

    Have a great weekend ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  6. This place must be exquisite torture! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like DIG is in great form this spring! Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this visit, wish I could make my way up there sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun place. I hope someone buys it that will keep it going. I Love that blue cactus. I am sort of going through my blue stage now. ha... The fountain is incredible. What a useful sculpture it would be in the garden. I also like Spotty Dotty. I am sure she wouldn't live here but she is a beauty. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I love all those wooden planters and water features! That is so funny that they now have kokedama planters for those who would like to cheat a little! That is one packed greenhouse full of treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to admit Kokedama is new to me I had to google it. (I know, where have I been.) I don't like Bonsai and any sort of plant torture, but this is great, a fun way to display plants. It looks as if you enjoyed yourself, I wonder what else you bought. Did you come away with a leucadendron?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the berries on that Ilex. Did the berries last all winter and into spring?

    ReplyDelete
  13. So Dig is still operating? How I wish I was a decade (or 2) younger. I think the blue cactus is Pilosocereus azureus, which I know only because I fell a little in love with it when it was offered at my local garden center.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.