-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

What Would You Do?

Since I was a teen-aged gardener, I've composted mostly because as  a view inside my garage, basement, attic, or closets will confirm, I hate to throw anything away.  My composting practice is pretty lazy, toss stuff in, water every now and then and once a year or so, move the bin & spread what's ready.    I'm almost exclusively organic in my garden, making exceptions for a few hanging pots which sometimes get a little Miracle Grow and I like the idea of recycling.  However, my city recently has decided to permit food waste to be placed in our yard waste containers and getting rid of the compost bin would give me  a little more space for plants or an additional potting table.

Here is the path to the compost bin aka the walk of shame.  You see, the area on the left is a 15 foot by 2 foot potting area that I assembled a few years ago.  It's out of the way and is a great place to put new plant purchases until they go in the ground.  In addition to that, it has now bedcome my tomato growing area, hospital spot, propagation area, etc. and is  overcrowded with the visable proof of my addiction. Hey Louis, that banana is Musa xishuangbannaensis 'Mekong Giant' that can reach 40' if the pesudostems don't die to the ground.  I think you need one.  Plant Delights and  Brian's Botanicals will send them via post.  This one came from Jungle Fever.
 Here's the bin itself.  The bowl of carniverous plants happily consume many of the friut flies that like to hang around in the warm months, the black pot contains a newly acquired Polygonum scoparium awaiting being potted, Monkey, the cat, belongs to my neighbors but I love him and he keeps me company in the garden if my pesky dogs aren't around.


My bin never produces that much compost and I'm always bringing in manure & Tagro, our local biosolid product for use in the garden. Is there a huge benefit of using home made compost as opposed to just using manure and biosolids both of which I get free?  Another benefit of 86ing the compost bin is that I believe wildlife of an unwelcome sort (rodents) like to occasionally visit.

While we're on the topic of unwelcome visitors, Ciscoe Morris recently said that he's removed his bird feeders because their presence drew rats. Hmm.  For those of you who don't know, the Puget sound region provides a great home for rodents because of our population density,  proximity to water and because in our relatively mild winters, they can breed year-round.  We also have no reptiles to eat them.  I don't want to encourage rodents but I do love to watch the American Gold Finches and others at my thistle seed feeder.  Monkey is waiting patiently.  By the way that little brick thing at the bottom is all that is visible of the garden path in this area.  Overplanted much?

Evening Grossbeaks, Chikadees, Finches, and others love sunflower seeds but they're not alone...
 I use hot pepper suet in the suet feeders as birds don't mind but all mammals except humans hate hot peppers!
 Some welcome guests at the suet feeder.

 What would you do about this compost bin thing. If I got rid of it I could still feel good about recycling food waste but wouldn't be doing it myself.  Where do you land in the bird feeder conundrum?  Thanks for any advice you'd like to offer!

16 comments:

  1. One of the first things I got rid of when we moved in was the black plastic compost bin in the back garden (luckily a neighbor was excited to get it). It was an eyesore and I wanted the space for plants! Since such good quality compost is available to you locally I say toss that thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that's what I'll probably do but it's hard to get rid of a nearly 40 year habit!

      Delete
  2. That is indeed a conundrum. I feel as though I understand. I say the compost bin is a perfect spot for planting and could go to compost bin heaven. The bird feeders are wonderful. I love the sound of the little song birds. Unfortunately around here we have crow convention that lasts most of the summer in our backyard. They move in and harass all the little critters and smaller birds. However, we recently have had a noisy jay move in that seems to hold his own against the crows.

    Thanks for that banana ID! it sounds wonderful! I do think I need one. And its funny because until I read further down to see that you address me and the banana directly I was thinking .... "Daaaang, I like that banana!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The banana is just a baby but if you do a web search, you'll find all kinds of cool information about it. The compost bin will probably go but I'll feel guilty every time I toss perfectly good coffee grounds, banana peels, etc. into the city recycling bins.

      Delete
    2. you can just sprinkle your grounds in the garden during spring and summer. plants love it

      Delete
  3. Your garden looks lovely Outlaw, forget the compost bin more plants. I used to try to feed the native birds years ago, now they get driven away by noisy miners and indian miners, talk about bird wars. Ben chases the birds away too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's sort of a jungle out there right now. I suppose you are right about getting rid of the compost bin.

      Delete
  4. What a fabuluous garden you have... I say if you don't actively compost get rid of the bin if you have a source of good compost. We do a lot of chopped leaves/grass compost that I use for mulch and the garden love it but the bins are out of sight in a work area behind a fence.

    Bird feeders are a must here but I don't keep them up year round. We actually had a Black Bear visit here Memorial Day weekend because I hadn't gotten the feeders down yet.. But in the gloomy winters here we have lots and lots of birds visit the feeders and it brightens up my days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I passively compost, that is, everything goes in, the worms take care of it and it gets spread once a year but it doesn't really produce much as most of the leaves & clippings get mowed and left in place or thrown on the beds to deteriorate. I do love the birds and we get some really cool migratory species in the spring and fall that visit the feeders - no bears yet, though!

      Delete
  5. Get rid of the composter. What difference does it make if you or your town composts the food waste. You are obviously a gardener who needs more space, and this is a good opportunity to make some. I would keep the bird feeders. If rats are really a problem, then just hang on the the nyjer seed feeder for the goldfinches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep the nyjer and the hot pepper suet but the evening grosbeaks love the sunflower seeds. Maybe I'll throw some cayenne pepper in there with the sunflower seeds and see if that is a deterrent to the squirrels and their nocturnal pals.

      Delete
    2. Have you tried the squirrel baffle from Wild Birds Unlimited? It has worked very well for me. The only issue then is the stuff the birds spill on the ground. They are very messy eaters!

      Delete
    3. I haven't tried the squirrel baffle because I enjoy watching the squirrels but it would probably be effective at deterring less welcome guests and it beats bringing the feeders inside at night! Thanks Jason!

      Delete
  6. Thanks all for your advice. Looks like this is the last year for the compost bin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bird specialty stores (Wild Birds Unltd here) have a hot pepper powder that coats sunflower seed and/or peanuts to discourage rodents, including squirrels. Works the same as the hot pepper cakes. Also, the grosbeaks, finches and cardinals like safflower seed - you know,the seed with the white shell. Squirrels will not touch it; don't know about mice.
    Always a pleasure to see your beautiful gardens. And, yes, let the City do your composting for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy! I've seen the safflower seed but didn't know that Squirrels don't like it. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.