-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Acer with Serious Jewelry Seeks Identity

Near the glass shop where I work, there is a maple  tree which is putting on quite a show!  The shop owner doesn't remember  this tree setting seed so heavily and dramatically in the 60 years she's been watching it.    

 
Because of the sun, I was unable to get a shot of the whole tree but it is covered in these 7 - 12 inch  seed clusters. 
My initial thought was that the tree must be under stress of some sort which is causing its reproductive imperative to go into overdrive.

These look like dangling earrings or Christmas ornaments to me. They sure are beautiful!
Sometimes, it's the simplest things...


I'm not sure of the name of this maple.  Can you identify it?

2 comments:

  1. stunning!! I am not familiar with maples. I really should be considering how beautiful and perfect they are in the PNW. Next time I'm at cedar rim I'm going to try and see if I can find one like it. they have a really wonderful maple selection.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.