-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, August 10, 2012

A Visit to Rhododendron Garden Nursery

Kelly's beautiful garden from yesterday's post inspired me to visit his pusher, er...connection, I mean supplier.  He mentioned that many of his plants came from Rhodondron Garden Nursery in Federal Way, WA.  O.K. I fell in love whth that gorgeous blue 'Harlequin' hydrangea, called the nursery, and found that they had only one left which was slated to be taken to a farmers market in a couple of days.

Driving in, the main area looks a little small but upon further exploration, one finds seven acres of mostly shade tolerant plants, a few of which might even interest our pal Barry!
In looking for 'Harlequin,' I came across these Sanguinaria canadensis in rather large pots.  For $16, who wouldn't want this gorgeous foliage in his shade garden?  Because of this price, I was certain that these were the single-flowered form.  When I was checking out, Diane, the woman behind this one-woman show, said, "you know that's multiplex, right?  I just about fainted.  S.canadensis multiplex is the glorious double flowered form of Bloodroot which usually costs $24 for a four inch pot and here I was with a pot more than twice that size for $16!  Diane's story of how she got theseis that years ago, a woman was moving with her family from Illinois to Washington in a car so full that she had to carry a flat of Sanguinaria canadensis multiplex from her former garden on her lap the whole way.  She gave Diane a few and, over the years, Diane has propagated them to the point that she now can sell them. Lucky us! 

And then there were these labeled only "Fan Fern" which I was told is evergreen


More shady characters including another fern I don't yet have!

I love the foliage of Rhododendron Sinogrande!  It's like a loquat on steroids.
Isn't this hardy fuchsia lovely?

I searched high and low but didn't see 'Harlequin!'


 The growing areas go on and on through rhododendrons, azaleas, Japanese maples, more shade stuff... well-grown on site and sturdy characters all.


 These five gallon pots are mostly priced at twenty nine to thirty five dollars - what a deal!

 Finally I gave up and asked Diane where 'Harlequin' was and she took me to this.  She explained that she had made it pink and if I planted it and did nothing, it would revert to blue.  Hydrangeas are fun plants in that many varieties react to soil ph.  Acidic soil yeilds bluer blooms while alkaline causes pink. 

Diane, a charming person,  loves her work and loves to chat about plants.


I came away with the pink-for-now 'Harlequin,' a 'Blue Danube,' the "Fan Fern," and that cool Bloodroot.  I'm thinking I might have space in my garden for a purple hydrangea with jagged edges as well so I'll have to go back soon!  This nursery was a delightful surprise and even had some sun loving offerings!

Rhododendron Garden Nursery, not to be confused with the Rhododendron Species Garden, also in Federal Way, is well worth a visit!  P.S.  Don't forget your wallet!

8 comments:

  1. That sounds like an awesome place. I love the hardy fucshia! And I'm so glad you got your wonderful 'harlequin.' You should have two and keep one pink and one blue!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea! She only had one left, though so I'll have to wait until next year.

      Delete
  2. I would definitely pick up a few of those bloodroot if I were out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were so healthy and happy looking. You should plan a plant buying trip to the Pacific Northwest!

      Delete
  3. Nice hydrangea. Thanks for the tour; it looks like a lovely place. Here most all the plant places are concrete/asphalt based. Comforting to see a more natural setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're lucky here to have many nurseries in natural settings. I do envy your ability to grow echiverias, aeoniums & other succulents in the ground and the nursery shots you've posted with tables full of them!

      Delete
  4. That was a nice place to visit. I love nurseries and I usually spend far too much money there...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.