-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, August 20, 2012

Watson's Nursery Tent Sale

Watson's Nursery is a huge full service garden center. The 32,000 square foot glass and steel greenhouse from Belgium which houses houseplants, annuals, tender perennials, an espresso bar/cafe, and a wide selection of giftware is a far cry from the much smaller wood structure where I bought my first Fuchsia after coming to Washington in 1984!

Watson's is always extremely clean.  Squeaky clean.  Your mother-in-law is visiting your home for the first time clean.


I stopped by early in July during their annual tent sale event during which everything in the sale area is marked down by 50 - 70 percent.  In conjunction with this sale, many plants inside the nursery are also marked down.


 These chairs are really cool but at even at 50% off they were noth of $200.00 each. 


 There was this little lovely.  Being plastic, it could reside in a cupboard  when not needed.  How many plants can you say that about? 


 Pots, statuary, and on the left, a huge selection of greeting cards.
 About a third of the inside of the place is devoted to pricey giftware so you can shop for plants, have lunch, find a gift for Aunt Mildred's birthday, and buy a card all in one stop.





This guy seems happy!


Where is Loree?


Euphorbia obesa in bloom

Echiveria have been a favorite of mine for years!  Watson's had quite a nice selection of them at that time.

 These big guys were on sale for 50% off.



 Fleetfoot and Foulweather growers had recently paid a visit and there was a lot of succulent/cactus goodness on the tables!
 Is this the same kind of plant that Ms. Loree just bought?

Sorry, I go so distracted by all the succulents that I forgot to take many pictures of other areas.  Here is part of the perennial area.  this place is quite large and also has a nice selection of trees, shrubs, vines, etc. There's pretty much something for everyone. 

To learn more about Watson's, visit their website!



13 comments:

  1. Beautiful place and great selection. It does look pricey even on sale. Laughing and remembering that first mother-in-law visit pretty much as you describe.

    Euphorbia obesa looks like a fiber art project. This plant is going on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that I can further enable your plant habit!

      Delete
  2. Oh I would have had to get one of those tall cactus for 50% off! (maybe two?). I think (but of course don't know for sure) the variegated Opuntia that you pictured is Opuntia monacantha 'Variegata' a different one than the Opuntia cochenillifera variegata I just bought. Coincidentally (?) I have the O. monacantha too, a gift from the cute husband last Christmas.

    So, did you buy anything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "stuff" was still pretty expensive even at 50% off and I got there a few days into the sale so things were pretty picked over. I bought an Agave victoriae-reginae and a couple of other succulent things that slip my mind at the moment. I was tempted by the tall cactus but at 50% off they were still $40.00. That alone might not have stopped me but Tom was in the car so reclining the front seat and laying the plant diagonally wasn't an option. I also wondered if I'd be really enthusiastic about hauling one of those puppies in and out each year. I'm sure that there are still some there if you need one!

      Delete
  3. Oh sales are always fun!!! I love those tall cacti. Did you get those wonderful echeverias?!?! I have a soft spot for them too. Although this year I seem to have less than last year. Hmm I should probably remedy that situation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't get an echeveria at the time but in looking at my pictures, I feel like I may just need to go back. Watson's is only 15 - 20 minutes from my house.

      Delete
    2. Yes! You should definitely remedy your echiveria situation!

      Delete
  4. Oh man, so many temptations there. I go crazy for the Fleetfoot and Foulweather plants whenever Garden Fever gets a new shipment. I'd love to go visit the mysterious Mr. Fleetfoot some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually got to look inside the F & F truck and do a little personal shopping a few years ago when they were at a friend's nursery. OMG! Talk about amazing. Unfortunately (maybe fortunately?) my budget didn't allow me to buy everything in the truck.

      Delete
  5. What a gorgeous looking sale! Just seeing all the green goodness helps me escape the horrible heat in these here parts! (Inland So-Cal)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun. Sorry about your heat; maybe you could send some of it here. Hope you get some rain soon.

      Delete
  6. I love Watson's, it's funny I never realized before how clean it was, but now that you mention it, it really is! Clean, and well-organized. I don't remember them having so many succulents in the past as they have this year. I bought a frilly Echevaria this year from them. I noticed they are all well-labeled too, no labels that just say succulent or cactus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watson's is great and really big. The only thing that bothers me a little bit about them is that, because of their size, everyone on staff is very specialized & lots of them have no idea about plants. They're friendly and happy to call the person who can answer a question but it's different from nurseries that are all about the plants. With the exception of this year's wonderful selection of cacti/succulents there's ususlly not a lot of rare and unusual stuff there.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.