-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A November Stroll in the Park

I pass Tacoma's Wright Park several times a day but seldom take the time to get out of the car and walk around.  This park is the home of Seymour Conservatory about which I posted here.   Now that the days are so short, it was a treat to see the park in the last few moments of daylight.


 

The park has some wonderful old specemins and the leaves are often raked into piles into which children of all ages may jump.

                     

It's a relatively warm day for November, the air is still, and the fragrance of fallen maple leaves, the essence of autumn, fill my nostrils.  (Or did a bug climb in there?)  Anyway, it's nice.  The park is clearing out as the light fades as it's not the safest place to be after dark so the only sounds are  squirrels running through dry leaves, and water splashing in the pond.


Could these be the large red leaves of Loree's dream?  Shocking red Hydrangea quercifolia foliage.


Somewhat more subued.  A little wine will do that to anyone.

Part of the duck pond looking kind of cold.

 I love our native snowberry. The berries stay long after the leaves fall & results in bare sticks holding up groups of these big berries for much of the winter. 

Cursing that I didn't bring my telephoto lens, I thought of Deanne whose wildlife pictures are spectacular.  I've explained that I try but am never successful as she because wildlife tends to move away when I start shouting directions at them - Hey you, butterlfy, land on this flower over here, Ms. Hummingbird, hover a little more to the left.  Dammit Mr. Stellar's Jay, if you won't look at the camera, we're just going to call the whole thing off.  Is that what you want?  Would you squirrels puhleeeze just freeze in that cutesy pose?  Deanne said something about waiting, patience or some virtue that I sorely lack.

Handsome Mallards remind me of my niece who raises ducks.

 And my doctor.  (Get it, quack?)

Looks like they're getting ready for a good night's sleep.

A few last views before I go home and get ready to roost for the evening myself.

 Ginkgo leaves at their golden best.



Red and green.  Looks almost ready for Christmahanukwanzaakah.
 Hope you enjoyed our stroll in the fading light. 

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for the virtual walk in the park...LOVE Oak Leaf Hydrangea...they always seem to turn the most amazing colors during Autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always admire those in the park but mine mostly stay semi evergreen.

      Delete
  2. Yep...there seems to be a conspiracy at work. I finally decide to get rid of my one and only Hydrangea only to be convinced (with photo evidence no less) that I need another...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you don't have to get another but if you do, the golden leafed one doesn't get quite so big.

      Delete
  3. beautiful!! We have a big lake just a few minutes walk from here and I go most every single day to enjoy nature. There is a feeling of being able to breathe better when I get to the park. I think its the peacefulness of it all. The oak leaf is really nice! They planted a bunch of them near my work and they have really caught my eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to walk over to the park but now that it's dark or raining so much of the time, I seldom go.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful park! Your post has reminded me that last winter I kept intending to visit the Seymour Conservatory. Maybe I'll make it there this winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! You should come. We could meet there and then grab coffee or lunch nearby.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful autumn pictures and colours. It's so grey here, because all the leaves have fallen...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soon it will be the same here but we won't get the snow and cold temperatures that you will.

      Delete
  6. That hydrangea color is a stunner. As to Snowberry - I have some in my yard, and so far I'm underwhelmed. Guess I have to be patient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just about to rip more of mine out. I bought one plant several years ago, of a variety that supposedly had coral or pink berries & thought it would be uber cool. The plant has spread and grown like nobody's business but five years later, I've yet to see a berry. They taunt me by recklessly growing wild in joyous profusion at the edges of the woods and looking charming all winter long. My admiration will have to remain distant.

      Delete
  7. Absolutely lovely! I love H. quercifolia. Wonderful shrub. Our fall colors are long gone now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to have this park so close at hand. You must be having freezing temperatures by now. If we're to go over the river and through the woods on a sleigh for Thanksgiving, the snow will need to be at least a few inches deep.

      Delete
  8. November was made for strolling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great images and I love these type of glory shots on a black background, The first hydrangea leaf stopped me in my tracks. Nice Job.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.