-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Got the Blues?

Feeling a little droopy?



Like vibrant life is zooming past you
while you seem stuck in place?

Do the short days and long nights have you climbing the wall?
Is the rain and cold getting under your skin?


It may just be a case of the blues.

When you're blue it's a good time to take the plastic bag off of your head.  Normal color should return within minutes.

But seriously, who could be blue when his Dichroa febrifuga is doing this?  And yes, I went out in the dark to enjoy them.

Here's a puzzler for you.  I've got four Dichroas in my garden.  One of them, the smallest, is bearing those heavenly blue berries  above and had dark blue blooms whilst the other three look like the the picture below and had lighter blooms.  I thought that these were all clones of the same plant.  Why would this happen?  Are some male and others female?  Really wouldn't matter in a clone situation, right?   

8 comments:

  1. Had to remove the plastic bag in order to read your post. Good thing.

    What pretty berries! I just want on day of relative dry and warmth so I can get some bulbs in the ground. Then it can go back to raining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little break from the rain would be nice! Glad you removed the bagq?

      Delete
  2. I love blue at this time of year...it's such a rich contrast to all the warmer, more autumnal colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Blue is welcome in my garden in amy season.

      Delete
  3. I like blue all year round. :o) I've never heard of this plant but it's berries are awesome! It reminds me of a Blue Muffin viburnum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just knew you'd include Dichroa febrifuga with those amazing blue berries. I actually go and retrieve and bring mine home from my 'personal shopper' tomorrow. Mine is supposed to be a Guizhou clone from UBC..... is yours the same? Will post about it tomorrow night and show photo, if in fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that the really blue one is a UBC clone. The other ones with the green berries were seeds that someone started

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.