-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, November 23, 2012

November Garden Magic

November certainly isn't among the favoirte  months for gardeners in this part of the world.  Many abandon venturing out into the sogginess until spring and warmer temperatures return and admire their gardens from inside instead.  With the days growing ever shorter, being home when it's light outside is a rare treat.  Over the weekend while exploring the garden I found some little happenings that made me smile.


Knowing nothing about mushroom identification, I have no idea what kind these are.  Many people dislike mushrooms growing in their gardens; I find them interesting and beautiful.

                     


The top of these reminds me of the caramelized sugar atop creme brulee. 
The cyclemen seem to be finished blooming for the year but now they put out this gorgeous foliage to entertain us all winter long.


Slightly frozen water droplets adorning Sedum palmeri which will also look beautiful all winter long.


And what's happening on this opuntia?  It looks like it's starting to grow.  Should I be worried?  Does the plant need to be inside?  Will the winter hurt this new growth?  There are several of these all over the plant.  What should I do?  I'm a cacti newbie.
 



Podophyllum delavayi, one of my favorite foliage plants will get a much bigger pot this spring.  As it is going to sleep for the winter, look at what it's leaving behind.



Lots of seed laden fruit which I'll throw on top of some soil-filled pots to see if they'll grow.

Waiting in the wings are next year's beautiful leaves.  Even in autumn, spring's promise is evident.  Hooray.

The passion flowers aren't in my garden but were flowering outside at Watson's  on the same day as I took the other pictues.  These made it through our first frost and will probably bloom off and on until we get a big freeze.  There was one on my back fence for years but it eventually gave up the ghost in a very cold winter a few years ago.


                          



My wish for you is that, even in this dark and cold time of the year, you can find some magic in your own garden (a nearby conservatory or nursery works too!)  to keep you going until spring!

12 comments:

  1. Is your Opuntia 'santa-rita'? If so you might think about bringing it in. My friend JJ has lost a couple, and I lost a small one last year. It should be hardy here but maybe the rain is just too much for it? I did have luck overwintering one last year in the "denial garden" where it stays a little warmer and the soil is better draining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is 'Santa-rita' but it got potted in a mix that is more pearlite than soil. Maybe I'll throw something over it to keep the rain out or bring the pot in Thanks for the advice.

      Delete
  2. The great thing about getting outside, is that regardless of the season there is always something to marvel at! I love finding mushrooms as well, such curious things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, there's always beauty to be found outdoors.

      Delete
  3. I love finding mushrooms too, they pop up so unexpectedly. The passionflower is so pretty. I hope your Opuntia survives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The opuntia should be ok. Hope you had a great thanksgiving!

      Delete
  4. AMAZING passion flower, just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a sweet surprise to see tropical looking plants and blooms in our gardens in November!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the very late in the season tour. I'm with you on admiring mushrooms. A passionflower that in bloom in November in zone 3. Who would have thunk? Isn't nature grand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we're in zone 8 so it's not so unusual but it still thrills me, having come from zone 3, when I see things like this.

      Delete
  6. I love that second shot of the mushroom coming up through the fallen leaves (could serve as inspiration for a Calvin Klein outfit). The passion flower close-up is equally stunning.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.