-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, November 29, 2012

A Guessing Game

 
You may remember from this post  that I was breaking my Thanksgiving tradition this year and spending the holiday elsewhere.  Of course I wanted to go somewhere that was sunny and dry.  Here are some clues as to where I went.  See if you can guess.
 
At the foot of the guest bed was this "Danger Corner."  My host reads Danger Garden daily.  Hmmm.



Two beautiful and goofy dogs shared their house with me.

O.K. Whose bed is this anyway?

Although I was away from home, I was with my family.  (I'm related to someone in this picture.)

While I was sitting at my hosts' computer, this caught my eye  from the window.  Yup, it's a moose.  Do you see the nose of the calf  way over on the left side of the picture?
Here's the cow and her calf.  Like deer, moose are herbivores.  In winter an adult moose consumes 22 - 30 pounds of branches, bark, shrubs, trees each day.  If  one wishes for his/her garden to not to be eaten to the ground each year, it's best to have a fence.

You probably guessed by now that while it was indeed sunny and dry, it certainly wasn't warm outside, comparitively speaking, that is. 

One last clue.
 
 
If you guessed that I spent the week of Thanksgiving in Wasilla, Alaska, you'd be correct.  I stayed with my eldest niece, her husband, and their dogs and also my eldest sister & her hubby/dogs for part of my visit.  They were going to come to my place this year but instead decided to fly me up there and pay (bribe) me to get on an aeroplane (something of which I'm not fond.)  I am now officially a whore.  We had a great family Thanksgiving for while it was cold outside it was certainly warm inside figuratively as well as literally. 
 
Stay tuned for more from north of the Great White North.


16 comments:

  1. Thats very exciting to have spent some time away with family. It looks cold, but wonderful. Those moose pictures are too cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a good time. It was exciting to see the moose. The night before, I saw the northern lights for the first time in years- It wasn't a spectacular show but pretty special nonetheless.

      Delete
  2. I hope you had wonderful holiday. When I saw northern dogs (haski)on your photo, I guessed that it was North. I met moose once too and was afraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nadezda, it was a lot of fun. The moose weren't so frightening while I was inside the house.

      Delete
  3. Your trip was as if you had visited Finland. Moose like here, a little snow and so on..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The climate is similar and the days are very short at this time of the year.

      Delete
  4. I love the danger corner! So glad you took your camera with you, I look forward to more pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very cute. My niece thought that it might distract me from all of the frozen stuff outside.

      Delete
  5. The quality of the light is amazing. So many signs that they truly wanted you there...what a wonderful way to celebrate the season of Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...talk about a change of scenery! Did you many any snow angels?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There wasn't much snow on the ground down in town and when we went up into the hills, it was packed pretty hard. Plus, I'm so fat and old that if I got down on the ground, I might not be able to get back up.

      Delete
  7. It's great to be with family during the holidays. I once saw a moose in Canada during a summer vacation. It was pretty freaky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're interesting and big animals. Quite few of them get hit on the roads each year. Dangerous!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Alaska is where I was raised so it feels like going home to me.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.