-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, July 2, 2012

A Walk in the Park


Well, a walk to the park.  Fortunately, Wright Park, home of the Seymour Conservatory, is a five minute walk from my house.  It's a great place to visit, especially in the winter.  The glass house was built in 1908.  You can read more about it here







The floral displays in the entrance area are changed seasonally and as everything here is in pots, there's always a big burst of color to greet you.



A few blooming epephyllum (I think)  are usually present.  Metro parks has a large collection in their working greenhouse (not on this site)  that they rotate in as they bloom.





Happy looking agave in the small dry area




One of the more photographed (because he's darned cute)  objects in the conservatory.


Tropical wing - balmy even when there's snow on the ground outside.



On the way out.  Notice the amorphophallus (label didn't say which one) foliage on the left and the gorgeous palm from Hawaii (HUGE FRONDS) in the background.





Walking back home, I noticed these which have a sort of rustic charm.

2 comments:

  1. When I saw the first photo, I assumed it was the Volunteer Park Conservatory in Seattle which I've been dying to go to. Now I have TWO places to make a pilgrimage to. How lucky you are to have this place at your doorstep. I'd be hanging out there all Winter long.

    I found your blog on Danger Garden and am so happy you are blogging. Can't wait to learn more about your amazing collection of plants and all your adventures in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are very lucky in the Pacific Northwest to have so many cool places to visit and you're right; I'm fortunate to be able to walk to a little piece of the tropics!

    Can't say how nice it was of Loree to link to my blog! Thanks for checking out Outlaw Garden!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.