-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Some Serious Gardening


When you come home from work and see these parked outside your house, you know that some serious gardening is about to happen.




Three of the four corner sidewalk ramps have been removed to be repoured to include those yellow rubber bumpy things. Ours will be the fourth and I'm guessing that it'll be torn apart on Monday, just in time for our 20 Thanksgiving guests to muck through.   Also, on our side of the street, I've noticed that quite a lot of the crumbling curb will also be replaced.   Just up the street, a more-than-a century-old Liriodendron (Tulip Tree) was marked for removal to make this sidewalk process easier.  The neighborhood voiced it's opposition  and, for now, there's a stay of execution for the grand old specimen. (Photo of one of the corners across from us.

I know that there will be quite a bit of plant damage and loss and have removed some which are dotting the back patio sitting in cardboard boxes until the work is done.  The good part is that the crews work when I'm at work so I won't be watching and wringing my hands.   Once the sidewalk ramps are done, the streets will be prepped and repaved.   Since they'll be closing several streets at a time to do this work and we have no off street parking, it'll be an interesting time.

13 comments:

  1. I've only ever seen a few mature Tulip trees but they are quite a sight. Years ago when our road was widened, the neighbors got the city to take more of the opposite frontage to save the oak tree at the end of our driveway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be nice having the street repaved. We finally had ours done last year. I'm guessing you put plants between the sidewalk and curb. Here it is considered the towns property...people plant there just the same with no objection. Hey, either way maybe you might enjoy planting something new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be hoping for minimal destruction on your behalf. It's a good thing it will be happening when you're at work. I would be having fits. Isn't there an alley behind your house where you might park, briefly? Possibly not an area that's safe from the halfway house dwellers, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always something...I hope your plants - and your Thanksgiving guests - come through the experience relatively unscathed. Good for the neighborhood in standing up for the rights of the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oy Vey. Stressfull. Not something you should have to deal with just before the holiday...
    After reading your blog for a few years, I know you'll come up with something good in regards with that project, one to be grateful for. I hope for a spiffy looking curb for you and minimal plant damage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an annoyance. I hope all the plants you gathered up survive their shifting. I also hope that the old tree has a stay of execution. Progress is not always pretty or fare that is for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These 'improvements' are so stressful. Remember to take lots of deep breaths!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Change happens, but it's not always welcome. We have consgtruction going on next to us now, on the upper side of the driveway.Two huge, looming houses are to be built there, five feet from the property line.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh gosh, good thing we won’t be together in person any time soon. If we were I’d be tempted to tell you all about our hellish experience with the city and big equipment and plant damage, and, and, and...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope your plants manage to come through unscathed with as little alteration as possible, just as well you won't be there to see it happening!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Blogger is out to defeat me today, apologies if you now have three comments! I hope the work all goes smoothly, good luck Peter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck!
    I guess it's like getting a shot, you know it's coming, it hurts, and then hopefully it doesn't seem too bad afterwards. Sometimes it's these little tragedies which finally help me get rid of the plants I may have not been that into anymore, but it stinks when it happens right by a newly planted bed...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Argh, I feel for you. Wishing the damage is kept to a minimum. Hoping you had a great Thanksgiving despite all of this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.