-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, November 29, 2018

My Greenhouse in November


I'm thrilled that the Schlumbergera started blooming just in time for Thanksgiving.  I now have quite a few varieties so there's bloom from November through March or April.  The blooms last much longer in the cooler greenhouse than they do in the warm house.




I killed my first Begonia  sizemoreae a few years back.  This one has been allowed to get quite dry between waterings which would cause some other begonias to wilt.  The drier treatment seems to have done the trick as it's looking very happy.  The leaves are huge.

The variegated pineapples are getting quite large.  Maybe they'll need to be donated to the conservatory once they outgrow my space. Cussonia spicata is also getting pretty big.  I wish my Cussonia paniculata would be as vigorous!



You can see why I don't need another plant!

Although I see a few small spots on the shelves where something exceptional might squeeze in.  Although the two largish cordylines haven't come in yet and I might take pity on a few things that were slated to be left outside to perish in the cold.


Ensete ventricosum was going to stay outside but it's height and handsome color made me think twice.



Well, that's the greenhouse  this month.  So far, the bugs are under control and haven't been doing any damage.  Knock wood.

24 comments:

  1. Looking good! Had to laugh at "don't need another plant"...need, such an interesting word choice....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this time of year, I don't even want another plant. Crazy, right?

      Delete
  2. Everything is looking very nice and healthy. I have one Schlumbergera that seems to be in a suspended state, it never puts on another pad, never blooms, but seems to still be alive. I'm not sure what it needs, perhaps a little fertilizer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plenty of space left -- keep cramming! (If you can still walk around without getting spined, then there's still room left. Even once you start getting spined you just need to switch to thicker pants and then can still fit more plants in. Somehow I know that.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way you think and have an inkling as to how you know that!

      Delete
  4. Love the greenhouse. As impressive as Ensete ventricosum is, my attention was drawn to the photo below it. In the back there is a massive cacti? Euphorbia? Practically reaching the rafters: yawza!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That euphorbia is really interesting. It's grown very quickly and has had to be repotted three times already.

      Delete
  5. Sorry, but I have to laugh at your greenhouse. You have a whole other estate here that seems as big as your outdoor garden. I can never really get a sense of your space because my attention is always caught by your gorgeous plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lucky to have lots of fun plants and a greenhouse in which to grow them. Much safer than planting outside where between the passers-by and various road/house construction/repairs, things get trampled, cut, and dug up.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I'm glad. You could grow all of these plants outside!

      Delete
  7. I am always drawn to your begonias. I used to have a big leaved begonia. I don't remember the name of it. It barely survived winters in my house then when I put it out during summer it would struggle back to a decent plant about the time I had to bring it inside. I finally gave up on it, or it gave up on me. Your greenhouse looks fresh and full.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Begonias can be temperamental prima donnas. With freezing temperatures predicted for next week, I'll be dragging a few more things inside on Saturday.

      Delete
  8. Such a jungle! Everything looks ready for winter. I wondered how you dealt with bringing outdoors plants inside with bug risks. Let's hope they stay under control. Aphids and scale are my enemies that keep me on my toes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the aphids, whitefly, and scale seem to always come inside and I usually don't notice until their numbers are quite large. I try to spray everything with neem oil just before bringing them in. Rubbing alcohol mixed with water is always on hand in a spray bottle for the pesky scale insects. Every great once in a while, I've resorted to non-organic controls as well.

      Delete
  9. I still think you need to charge admission. With what you'd earn, you could probably build another wing on the garage/greenhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your greenhouse plant collection is fascinating. So many fun and weird plants. and even some pretty ones.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Darned cussonias! Why can't ours bee like the fabulous ones we see in everyone else's gardens? The variegated pineapples are doing surprisingly well since the greenhouse gets down to the upper 40's in the winter. One came from Rare Plant Research in Oregon City and the other came from a local small nursery from their houseplant section. It was quite a surprise to see it in the latter location.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh thank you, a tour round your greenhouse is always such a treat. You seem to have more than ever packed in there this year. I would love to linger in there for an hour or so and examine every plant. What a glorious oasis it is. Love the crinkly begonia. Red bananas grow so tall but you can't risk them outside. Mine is in the dining room and is becoming a terrible nuisance, or so I am told.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG, Peter: This entire post is simply dreamy! Your greenhouse is a haven. Thanks for sharing some of the highlights!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They all look happy and healthy. The Ensete looks like banana to me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.