-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Wednesday Vignette

Over the weekend, I visited Heronswood and snapped a shot of this vine covered wall which I'd seen many times and paid it little attention.  With so many marvelous plants and favorite spots to visit, this dark corner close to the house was previously barely noticed.  I took the picture quickly and didn't give it much thought until going through my pictures of the visit.  The larger opening in the grid giving a glimpse of the garden beyond through the scrim of vines is rather lovely.  Maybe the foliage had previously obscured the view. 



This brought to mind how our perceptions of things change over time, what we notice, what interests us during different seasons of our lives.  Interesting that since the early 90's when I started visiting Heronswood on a regular basis and until just now, this view was noticed but not really appreciated.


Now I find it quite compelling.  The contrast between the grid and the bare vine, nature and artifice is compelling.  The center reminds me of confetti/streamer stained glass and has my mind thinking of how this could easily be interpreted in a leaded glass panel. 

One of the many joys of gardening is experiencing new beauty every day and in every season.

Wednesday Vingnette is hosted by Anna at Flutter and Hum.  Click here to check out the posts of other participating bloggers.

11 comments:

  1. So true about how our perceptions change and how that image would be a beautiful glass motif. I think the whole thing has a very Asian feel to it; quite lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post makes me think how it is also funny how different people notice different things. The one time I visited Heronswood, I took note of this immediately. In fact, I spend quite a while photographing it. My post is of a completely different nature. Can you believe I was so flustered, I forgot what day it was...sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had a 90's visit to Heronswood to look back on, and see what I remember from then. It is so true how what we notice, and how we relate to it, changes over time. Thanks for the beautiful images!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A perfect example of the value of framing views in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very nice shot! I love what you've done with the color in each. The vines and the panel would a make a compelling design for a stained glass window. I don't remember ever seeing this at Heronswood. I'm always so focused on the plants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love garden vignettes being framed in this way. It is reminiscing of Chinese garden style, where such 'windows' are repeated throughout.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty. I find myself catching glimpses of vignettes of my garden through my windows as new things come into bloom or catch a sunbeam.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so right about how our perceptions change over the years. Something old can suddenly become precious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful photos! The first thing I thought of was a stained glass window. The hardest part would be deciding which color to do it in, every one of your photos is lovely. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So fun to find treasures in the garden that previously went unnoticed! What a lovely vignette.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't this the truth? Maybe this is one of the gifts of getting older. Our bodies decline but our minds mature and we become better at observing the obscurities. I like that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.