-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, March 19, 2018

In a Vase on Monday - Beauty and the Beast

Many thanks to Cathy at Rambling in the Garden for hosting In a Vase on Monday, the addictive meme that challenges us to bring something from our gardens or foraged nearby inside to cheer us during the week.  Click here to see what participating bloggers have artfully arranged or unceremoniously plonked in a container this week.

Our delightfully dry weekend was spent doing delightful things like attending a specialty plant sale, wandering Heronswood, visiting nurseries, and playing in my own garden.  Pots of Narcissus 'Tete-a-Tete' were part of Valley Nursery's spring sale.  The first daffodil to bloom in my garden, they're always a welcome bit of bright yellow at this time of year and at only $1.50 a pot, why not add a few more?  Instead of cutting them, I decided to simply use the potted bulbs in a couple of receptacles.  First, beauty.  You may recognize Alison from an earlier IaVoM post.


Now, the beast, a troll sans body planter made by a Kitsap area artist. 

Muscari and camellias joined the daffodils.


The beast looks very friendly but needs a name.  Suggestions? 
 Stone?  Clay? Auribus? 

14 comments:

  1. Spring has definitely sprung in your garden. Can't believe you have not come up with a name for your beast! You are usually the one first out of the box with clever names etc. I'm not awake enough yet to do it justice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An inspiring bit of colour. Your Troll looks like Dobby the House Elf and I think he is enjoying sporting the Camellias

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, delightful Peter - thank you for sharing and making us smile, as you always do :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfect weekend you had....and I adore your planted heads. I must say the troll is my favorite....he is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your troll, so pairing him with Alison the head planter is certainly apropos. There were 3 trolls in The Hobbit, named Tom, Bert and William. Perhaps one of those names would work?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty a Alison is, I think I'm in love with the happy beast. He looks like a Hugo to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your spring flowers. They look so cheerful as do the planters. I always have a difficult time trying to name something. It will come to you some day. You will look at that cute little fellow and bam a name will pop into your head.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking rather cheerful your way, Peter! Isn't spring wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both displays are just what the doctor ordered. A real "pick me up" for the second half of March. The troll reminds me of the U.S. attorney general, Jeff Sessions. I looked him up, and his full name is "Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III". Is "Beauregard" suitable for a troll???

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your little "beast" just looks "Happy" to me, perhaps because he gets to wear flowers and hang out with Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes,he does look like Sessions, the resemblance is uncanny. I love his colourful spring bonnet. Just what we need at the moment, a bit of spring bling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your beast! And all those lovely colours are so cheering! Thanks for making me smile! I can't think of a really good name for him, but he looks like a Boris to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like an Igor, definitely! ;)
    A happy mix of color, both beauty and beast.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.