-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, March 23, 2018

A Late Winter Stroll Through Heronswood


Another weekend; another plant sale.  Someone pinch me, I think I must be dreaming.  We're so lucky in this region to have so many great growers and nurseries.  Last weekend, Heronswood hosted it's first plant sale of the season and the garden was also open.  Come stroll with me through the garden which was definitely beginning to awaken.


When pulmonaria and hellebores bloom, spring is definitely near.



Veratrum

Trillium


Inside the house, there was an exhibit of the botanical art of Jean Emmons whose work graced the covers of Heronswood catalogs for years.   The art was glorious and it was a delight to view the garden through the windows of the home.


Meanwhile, back outside, peonies were popping out of the ground.  

In the distance, you can see a couple of the white canopies in the plant sale area.

Originally a potager, this garden is filled in the summer with brightly-colored annuals  as the garden is now available for use as an event venue.










Geranium palmatum


A hardy begonia seems to have just had it's protective wood-shaving protection removed. The tag only said begonia sp. and a number.  Can't wait to visit again and see what the foliage looks like!

I'll leave you with a view of this sweet Sinopanax formosanus.
Happy weekend all!  

15 comments:

  1. It's really informative to be able to see it at this time of year with all the hardscape and green structure so visible. And those views from inside are a treat. Not sure I've ever seen any before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the visit Peter! I do hope to go back someday...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful even this early in your gardening year! The peony foliage alone speaks loudly of the blooms to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love a visit to Heronswood no matter the time of year. Those iconic columns with the enormous pots on top, I just love them. So cool that you got to go inside the house! How very strange the hornbeam hedge looks when it's bare.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too would love to visit Heronswood. I used to read about it and drool. Your photos really bring it alive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a plant crush on Geranium palmatum. I want it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such an inspiring place to visit...and getting to see it from the inside of the house!...WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Peonies are amazing freshly emerging -- thanks for the tour, Peter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We weren't sure what we would see this early in the season, so we didn't go, but now I'm sorry we missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a treat to be able to go there! It looks like such a lovely garden, and I'll bet the plant sale was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a garden we need to see if we ever get back to Washington State.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Even in early spring this is a fantastic garden. How lucky for you! It's nice to be able to see the structure of it, something to admire, for sure. Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Definitely ready for Spring and so well cared for. Makes me want to leap outside and start weeding right now. Even though it’s dark. And raining. So love Trilliums.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely to see this garden in spring. Great structure makes it look good even before the main performance.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.