-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, March 16, 2018

March 18 Foliage Follow-Up

Each month, on the day after Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, Blogging wizzard Pam at Digging hosts Foliage Follow-Up to help us celebrate the important role foliage plays in our gardens every day of the year.  Click here to join the chloro-phylled phun.

Spring is full of excitement as plants awake from their winter slumber pushing foliage out of the ground full of the promise of the growing season to come.

The podophyllum are officially above ground and starting to unfurl their glossy parasols. 



Cardiocrinum giganteum

Trillium.  Just yesterday, while out taking these pictures, I spotted the first bloom of a native trillium which I thought had died.


Trevesia aff. palmata got thrown into the greenhouse during the recent freeze and is now unfurling new leaves.

Speaking of the greenhouse...

This crazy cussonia looses all it's leaves periodically but then regrows again.  Crazy plant. 

Helleborus 'Reanna's Ruby,' sister of 'Anna's Red' and 'Penny's Pink' and is supposed to have lovely flowers.  Who cares?  Look at that foliage?

Berberis is waking up but still has a bit of foliage from last season. 

Paeonia tenuifolia

Tricyrtis latifolia wx SICH 1735 hopped into my box from the Far Reaches table at a recent plant sale.

This large pot that came from my blogging pal Alison is a great place to hide newly acquired purchases showcase particularly interesting plants and easily accommodates  six  or seven gallon-sized pots.
Happy St. Patrick's Day tomorrow!

13 comments:

  1. Oh, I can't wait to see such beauties in my garden. That Tricyrtis foliage is fabulous. Think I need to check out Far Reaches again. And that pot Allison gave you: Obviously it is huge, given the number of big pots that fit it in. Don't you love it when you get the perfect gift?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a large impressive variety of plants. I have hellebores even tho it snowed twice this March. Like seeing the spent leaves because now I don't feel alone...their all over my yard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hellebore 'sisters' have the most fabulous foliage, don't they? I acquired Helleborus "Pippa's Purple" at Molbak's this year. That large pot from Alison is beautiful as is the collection inside: could have used it for IAVOM :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spring is a lovely thing isn't it? Your Podophyllum plantings lush and wow, Cardiocrinum giganteum! Is this a newcomer to your garden?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Cardiocrinum has been in my garden for many years. I keep adding more and now there's usually one in bloom every summer

      Delete
  5. How fun that we both focused on emerging foliage in our FF posts today! Love the spots on that Tricyrtis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We planted our new foliage plants today. There will be a post someday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do have some intriguing foliage. Love the polkadots. Here it is still the usuals for this time of year. Love the new pot and all in it. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that is so encouraging to see all that new growth. And you guys had quite a bit of rough weather, didn't you? We had a cold January with no snow, so I'm a bit worried about some of the perennials--I hope they all survived. Are you noticing an "expected" schedule for these plants, or are they emerging earlier than "normal"?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spring in your neck of the woods is much more of an event than it is here, where we have relatively few (or, in my case almost no) deciduous plants. It's exciting to see new foliage emerge from below ground like released captives.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 'Reanna's Ruby' has spectacular foliage - I must have some. As you say, who cares what the flowers look like! The newly emerging podophyllum is weirdly wonderful. Reminds me of some alien in a horror flick.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’m struggling with mollusc attack on my Podophyllums. I could wish that tonight’s freezing temperatures might kill a few of the slimy ones off. But I won’t. Yes I will.

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks for this Peter. I'm impressed by your knowledge and use of these long names, I suppose extra impressive because most are unfamiliar to me. And great photography, I am a phan of unphurling foliage. Happy spring to you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.