-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Foliage Follow-Up October 2017

Foliage Follow-Up is hosted by Pam at Digging on the day after Garden Bloggers' Bloom day each month.  I'm a day late but thought I'd share some foliage seen on a walk in the park up the street from my house.

While green is still the predominant color in the park, the maples are beginning to color up nicely.

In a few days, this scene will be aflame with color.  


 Many of these large trees were planted c.1895.  




The park's Clerodendrum trichotomum  looks to be a well-behaved small tree. How do they keep it from becoming a thicket?


Soon this ginkgo tree will be wearing it's golden finery. 

Admiring this champion (largest in the state) sugar maple.



Towering Beech trees and a Japanese Maple.  There are tree maps available at the conservatory but I've never picked one up as these trees have become old friends.



Okay, it's not foliage but the bark of the 132 year-old Carolina Poplar is pretty amazing.






And back home.  My house is behind that foliage somewhere.

18 comments:

  1. Oh, this was a lovely walk around the park. I had no idea there was a champion sugar maple there. I miss them so much from New England, where they are everywhere giving color in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lucky to live close to such a wonderful park. Those trees are all spectacular in size. But having a state champion nearby is always special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff, but I really appreciate the last photo most of all -- love seeing your garden from the outside!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! That's a great shot of your garden Peter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. On that last shot: what would it look like in January? Would the house be seen then?
    I wish someone started a Bark meme. I love Poplar and it's bark is lovely. If I had a french chateau, I would line the approach road on both sides with poplar trees, just like in the movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The largest things in that parking strip are deciduous so probably the house would be more visible in January. Oh yes, definitely that's a perfect way to plant the approach road to your French chateau!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful Wright Park and its adorable squirrels. I miss it. Is Hob Nob still across the street?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Jade, The Hob Nob is still across the street and going strong! The squirrels were asking when you'd be back to visit them again.

      Delete
  7. What would we do if there were no stunning maples to look at in the fall? It would be 'meh' without them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for taking us along on this colorful walk
    the red leaves against the blue sky is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love big old trees. They have such character.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So beautiful! Big old trees are my thing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you're a little ahead of us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You live in a beautiful neighborhood, Peter! There's little to no fall color here yet but, with the intermittent heatwaves, maybe all the deciduous trees will go straight from green to brown this year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, the street view of your house! You just know a plant lover lives there. And I'm glad someone shared views of fall foliage for Foliage Follow-Up! I must live vicariously until December rolls around and we get a few yellow and red leaves of our own here in Austin.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely trees, gorgeous autumn foliage.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazingly beautiful Autumn foliage!
    I am only a little bit late reading everyone's foliage posts.
    Hope you are having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ginkgos have the most brilliant yellow foliage. It's almost enough to make me like them. Our fall color has been late this year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.