-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Portland Nursery (Stark Location)

Back to the May trip to Portland. The last visit on day one was Portland Nursery on Stark Street.  See previous visits here.  This is a large, full service nursery with lots of everything.  Here is a tiny fraction of what I saw:

Planet Max Potheads.  The handsome fellow on the bottom right called my name.

Interesting vases but something smells fishy. What do you think on a scale of one to ten? I'm just glad to be fin ished with school.  Would taking one home be a gill ty pleasure? Okay, I'll stop.




As always Portland Nursery has exquisite displays with great plant combinations. 

Remember when the peonies were blooming? 

Color; it's not just for sunny spots.
 Streptocarpus AKA cape primrose.  

 What fun these  animal planters are and each has a name. 

Trachycarpus fortunei nicely "underplanted" with potted plants.  I do the same with some of my big pots.  It's a great place to stash plants waiting to be planted.  Sometimes they end up staying.

Major lust for this circular arbor and for a garden with sufficient space left for one.  

 Pelargonum (Geraniums) must be the single most popular bedding plant judging by the huge numbers of them carried at just about every nursery.  There's much to love - perpetual summer color, some have really cool foliage, and  I love the scent of the leaves. How about you?  People seem to love it or hate it.

Hey look an agave and other prickly characters. 
 Echeveria 'Black Prince' 

The kind of pot that's legal in all 50 states.

Chondropetalum tectorum, one of the Restios native to the Fynbos on the western cape of South Africa.

Podophyllum 'Spotty Dotty' is now again widely available after a few years of being a bit difficult to find.

This gave me an idea of what to do with some of the ferns I've been hoarding.  The area where I want to plant them is full of bamboo roots but putting them in large pots disguised with wood might work really well.

Disporum cantoniense 'Moonlight'  looks great in a pot.

The nursery goes on and on with a large selection of Acer palmatum, shrubs, trees, edibles, etc.


Evergreen goodness. 


Caged succulents.  Hey, someone on the right is trying to escape.

What a great way to display ground covers.

Agave, Succulents, and Cistus. Oh my. 


Annie's comes to Portland.  

This little cutie can reach four to six feet tall?  It's already potted up and in the Danger Gardenette. 


 Pinus contorta 'Taylor's Sunburst' has such striking new growth and is a favorite of  Phillip of Dirt Therapy

Speaking of striking new growth, check out Spring Gold Colorado Spruce.


 Lupinus 'Westcountry Manhattan Light' has a grand purple and gold color combination. 


The indoor plant selection isn't just the run of the mill common houseplants. 

Sexy bromeliads singing their siren song.  However, since Rare Plant Research, where they grow a wide variety of these, was to be the first stop the next day, these remained in the shop.

Resist, resist, resist!  Until tomorrow. 

13 comments:

  1. Wondering if that Restio is the same as a really cool smaller variety I saw in a wonderful planter at Xera a couple of weeks ago. If so, I bet it flew off the table... I'm so glad I got to see you while you were here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I visited this Portland Nursery when I went down for the swap, and was sooooo tempted by those Bromeliads. I almost bought a couple. As usual, kicking myself afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be pretty limber to be able to kick yourself:) Rare Plant Research has an amazing variety of bromeliads and their Gardener's Garden Party is coming up on July 8 so you could buy some cool plants and enjoy live music floating over the ponds, a glass or bottle of wine, and a guided tour of the grounds with Burl. There's also a dinner that follows if you wish to stay. Could be a fun weekend adventure for you and Nigel!

      Delete
  3. Ha...it's funny...I go there almost every weekend and don't think I've explored nearly as much as you have! I love the Geraniums...I always get at least one, the scent of the leaves reminds me of my mom...they were her favorite and we used to overwinter them in my bedroom during winter...so the scent is very nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ground covers display is a wonderful idea, not just for shopping. I'd call it "Elevated gardening", good for folks who may have difficulty bending and kneeling but still want to play in the garden.
    Lupinus 'Westcountry Manhattan Light' should be named Mardi Gras Sparkle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving their selection of plants...and pots!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mind boggling size and amazing scale of display plants. That Spring Gold spruce is a winner. I need to have a computer file where I keep the names of all the great plants on see on your blog and others. I am always writing them on scraps of paper or thinking I'll go back later and write it down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw some planters and gift items here that I have never seen before! Now that is saying something. Looks like another great nursery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely conifers and primroses, Peter. I'd go to this nursery with you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Once again, a fascinating tour of an exceptional nursery. There are so many beautiful plants and combinations to think of. I really do like the raised bed ground cover display, in time I'd like to raise all my beds here so I wouldn't have to bend over. Ok, it's a fantasy. I wish I had more room to overwinter geraniums; I have added a few more that I will definitely want to keep this year and there's precious little shelf space left upstairs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Karen, bending over is exercise and we're always supposed to consult a doctor before starting any exercise regimen. Who has time for that? Best to simply not bother with the bending. If the garden want's to be weeded, it should come up to your level:-)

      Delete
  10. It's been a couple of weeks since I've visited. Must get over there soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.