-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, June 19, 2017

In A Vase On Monday

A strange alien attempting to eat an owl?


A low-hanging branch of Magnolia macrophylla had to be cut so that it didn't thwack passersby in the face.  Not a problem in the garden but out on the public sidewalk, people aren't so keen.

I threw it in a large mug in the kitchen and enjoyed the fragrance as it waited to find a vase.  the owl was still waiting to be put away after having been used in a previous IAVOM post.  There didn't seem to be anything that would work with this huge bloom so there it sat, spewing it's anthers(?) on the counter. Do you suppose that the owl is simply disgusted that the magnolia seems to have vomited on the counter?

These ceramic items seemed to go together nicely:  A pink shell vase from the fifties that I've had since high school,  some blue Wellies that were going to be used during the seemingly endless wet spell we had, and a grenade-shaped vase found at Portland Nursery.

Perhaps one could say that early work in the garden "shell" lead to an explosion of bloom? 

Filling the vases are: 
Deutzia 'Strawberry Fields'

Senecio leucostachys (Thanks Denise for the ID.)

Tanacetum parthenium

 Linaria purpurea

Throw in a little Euonymus  foliage and call it a day.

Oops, forgot the Wellies when I took this picture outside before bringing everything inside.

Sincere thanks to Cathy at Rambling in the Garden for hosting this rather addictive meme!

11 comments:

  1. Why am I not surprised that you have a grenade-shaped vase?! The magnolia must have been a sensual treat on the kitchen counter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had to do a little trimming on the Magnolia macrophylla last year and I remember what a challenge it was to find a vase that could hold the weight. Those ain't no wimpy flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Deutzia 'Strawberry Fields' in your GBBD and I love it in the vase.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though the hues are different, those 3 vases do have the same wonderful milky tones to unite them. That Deutzia is spectacular but I think I've said that before. The Euonymus and other elements provide just the right degree of contrast and brightness without overshadowing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am laying odds that my Magnolia macrophylla is going to open its only bloom this coming weekend while I'm away. I seem to remember they don't last long. Yours looks pretty spectacular just lying there on the counter. That's a very pretty vase of flowers too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The images look beautiful.
    This purpurea is wonderful.
    Good week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Peter, you have such fantastic props - I am sure we are kindred spirits in that respect! The deutzia blooms are gorgeous and as always you have built your vase up into something adorable - thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have an eclectic collection of vases, Peter! I'm a bit of a collector, but I've never found ones like that. The shell is wonderful and so is the Deutzia - your arrangement looks like a marvelous Easter bonnet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The grenade is appropriate since growth and bloom explode in June!
    I love your arrangement!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great combination of blooms. The vases are funny and cute at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A elegantly shaped arrangement in your shell vase. The Deutzia is vary delicate and looks great 'exploding' out of the vase. Hope you don't need you wellies for a bit.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.