-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, June 12, 2017

In A Vase On Monday - More Prunings


Many thanks to Cathy of Rambling in the Garden, the host of In A Vase On Monday, for challenging us to bring something from our gardens or scavenged nearby inside to brighten our week.

A few times a year, the non gardener gets a bee in his bonnet about trimming the Argyrocytisus battandieri (Pineapple Broom) away from the stop sign in one of the parking strips.  The once-blooming huge climbing rose (I brought a division from my former garden where it had been for years.  My gardening pal Vickie told me the name of it once but I've forgotten.) on the back fence blooms so heavily in June that  the canes flop out into the alley and must be tied up or pruned back to allow passage.  The guilt of throwing perfectly pretty and fragrant flowers into the yard waste bin overcame me so there are several vases chock full of roses perfuming the house and still quite a few in the yard waste bin.  This vase combines both of these  with some blue blooms of Parahebe perfoliata.

Beautiful weather meant that working outside was a joy.   The vase is one that came from the Glass Eye Studio sidewalk sale, from one of the affiliated artist's display.

This vase was chosen as the colors echo those of the flowers.  


Joining the explosion of color  are three concrete spheres made locally.  

There's really no reason for the spheres other than to add a bit of gravity to the froofy vase lest the whole thing float away.   Maybe there are three because yesterday was Trinity Sunday?
What have you  put in a vase to enjoy this week? 

11 comments:

  1. That rose is most definitely froofy, in fact, the very definition of froof. Perhaps that is the name of it? A lovely bouquet! The concrete spheres are interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous rose. I have a very similar one called 'Ardoisée de Lyon'. It has an amazing fragrance. It looks lovely in that vase with the Pineapple Broom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, lush and most importantly fragrant. Being able to smell that rosy perfume throughout your home is wonderful (there should be a "sniff" option to garden blogs).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh froofy indeed, Peter; certainly a shame to cut back these gorgeous roses but perhaps they just TOO much tying up. We have gained from the plant's loss though - thank you for sharing your vase

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I was your neighbor, I'd be keeping an eye on your trash bin! Those roses look luscious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous rose. Your house must smell glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did right by your pruned stems! Much as I love both the roses and that pineapple broom, my favorite element is the Parahebe, which I tried and failed to grow here. Maybe it's time to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous roses in a pretty vase. I love that style of cut, fat flowers. The Parahebe is not to be underestimated, it stands out beautifully here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I picked a few roses for my vase today too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What is it about the non-gardeners of the house and their need to prune? I do hope my Argyrocytisus battandieri blooms someday. Poor cramscaped thing....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.