-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, February 10, 2017

The Northwest Flower and Garden Show - A Pre Preview

The Northwest Flower and Garden Show is only days away and excitement is building.  What will the demonstration gardens look like this year?  I visited Windmill Nursery last weekend and sneaked a peak in one of the back greenhouses where seasonal plants are located in the spring and summer. Windmill is one of several places where plants are kept before the big show.  Here several houses are kept fairly warm and given special additional lighting to trick plants into thinking it's summer.  Here are some of the plants we might see at the show.

There were even larger trees so tall that they were stored on their sides.  These should start showing  color just in time for "A Taste of Spring," the theme of this year's show.

I know which exhibitor many of these plants are being held for and they are located quite far from Windmill.  I wonder how people choose where their plants will be held.  Do you suppose it's a matter of which houses have space with the right conditions for particular plant effects?

I asked a very nice Windmill employee , fellow plant addict, and fan of the show but she wasn't quite sure either.   She did mention that there was a great demand for forced bulbs this year.

Blooming calla lilies and beautiful brugmansias are not easy to make happen in February in this area.

Healthy and happy looking abutilons. 

Look at that great foliage!

 Impatiens.

Columbine 

Pelargonium (geraniums)

All bound for the show!  I'll be looking closely to see how many of these  I can spot there. 

I'm so looking forward to playing spot the plant!  


12 comments:

  1. I had a feeling that with the spring theme there would be a lot of forced bulbs. Tulips, Daffs and Crocuses scream spring to just about everyone. They're not particularly original, but they are the first things to wake up, and it's probably hard and expensive to force Trilliums and other spring ephemerals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly a taste of spring!
    (but I have to say...how could there be even MORE forced bulbs? The show already is stuffed to the rafters with them...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That shot of foliage makes my heart sing. My own Heucheras don't look anything like this in February... What swirls my scenes when I enter the convention center is the scent of Hyacinths. That alone is worth the price of admission.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to seeing photos by you of this wonderful sounding show. Excitement is building for everyone.

    Thanks for sharing all of your garden adventures at home and abroad.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! All those blossoms are really tempting! There's something about seeing those Pelargonium flowers on a cold February day that just boggles my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this peek behind the scenes...anticipation builds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool! I'll have to look too. We bought our tickets today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So looking forward to seeing your updates once the show starts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Flowers and lush foliage, it looks like a great tonic on a gray winter day. The heucheras look especially lush... unlike my own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm jealous, too. Sounds like a whole lot of garden fun. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice to see the shows revving up! Heucheras rank for me as the most expensive purchase for an annual -- seriously, do any of them endure and thrive?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.