-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, February 24, 2017

That Really Takes The Cake!

Something new at the Northwest Flower and Garden Show this year -  Bouquet of Cakes.


I'm always pleased if I can get frosting on a cake without the whole thing falling apart or the frosting melting onto the plate so am impressed by the skill of folks who can create cakes that are level and have smooth frosting.   The floral delights represented at the show are mind boggling to me.  Desert (dessert) blooms graced not one but two offerings.   "Southwestern Garden Flowers" by LUC Custom Bakery (Seattle)


Celebrity Cake Studio from Tacoma took the theme a step further in "Spring Blooms."


"The First Bloom" by K.J's Cakery Bakery, Kent 
Is that bamboo?  

"Wine in the Garden"  by Finale-Signature Cakes, Maple Valley.  The show probably required that flowers be used but for this cake I might have been tempted to use frosting grapes/vines, perhaps intertwined with  flowers to compliment the clever wine barrel design.   These blooms are all hand-made of sugar but many mistook them for silk.  


"Flowers and Bows" by Crème de la Crème in Renton.  All of the elements are of fondant or some sort of frosting stuff.  Is this a gorgeous and intricate thing or what?   Very feminine and pretty!  Know any brides looking for a cake idea? 

Can you imagine the hours that went into creating all of these flowers?

Do you think that there is actually cake under these creations?   Don't know if I could bring myself to actually cut into something like this.
Have a sweet and beautiful weekend!

19 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I'd never want to cut in to any of them, either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ever since I was a little girl, the urge to stick a finger in pristine frosting, for just a tiny little taste, is overwhelming; lucky those cakes are roped off. They are crazy beautiful, what a talent. How are they delivered to the show?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you really had the urge, you could lean over and poke a finger into the frosting! They're probably delivered just like wedding cakes, in pieces, and assembled on site.

      Delete
  3. Hello there sweet Peter !
    Thank you so much for dropping by with your comment (I haven't been blogging much at all .. flu bugs and all that awful sort going round)...
    I think of our gardens as living art .. we are artists that work with a living canvas which can be totally out of our control at times .. maybe we would be slicing off our ears like Van Gogh when truly frustrated ? LOL
    For those magical moments though ... it is all worth it : )
    These cakes are AWESOME ! .. I used to watch a show about amazing wedding cakes and some of them were so unbelievable .. I couldn't imagine anyone actually slicing into them .. but the comment about dipping your finger in pristine frosting ? .. that would be SO me ! LOL
    Take care ... have a great weekend !
    Joy : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like cake, and I can appreciate the artistry and talent involved in creating these masterpieces. But I didn't get the point of having them at a garden show. Thanks for covering the show so thoroughly. I paid them not a single second of attention, because they were on the Skyway taking up space that should have been devoted to more City Living garden. I resented them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of felt the same Alison, although I did snap a couple of photos.

      Delete
  5. Recently saw some photos of "cacti" made out of macaroons. All very cool if kind of crazy. The pastry used in the first design is a brilliant concept.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh! These were all fantastic. But being a romantic and a flower lover, the last one was my favorite. :-)

    Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful creations.

    Have a great weekend ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's really impressive craftsmanship. Thanks for showing those.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't imagine making - or eating - one of these cakes but I can appreciate the effort that went into creating them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Creme de la Creme is an amazing work of art. Maybe it can be frozen for posterity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if perhaps they're frosted forms and will go back to businesses as display pieces. Can't imagine finding a use for that much cake.

      Delete
  10. Like Alison said, I was kind of left wondering if these reduced the amount of "City Living" displays...or maybe there were less City Living entries and these filled up the space? I do remember people were extremely enchanted with the slice of cake that turned up in the floral display last year (the year before?) so maybe that played a part in it? Not to minimize the skill that went into these...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little surprised to see them there. After all, you don't see plant vendors at bridal shows. It was a fun diversion this year for the whole taste of spring theme. Disappointed in fewer urban living spaces.

      Delete
  11. Those cakes are fantastic! Thank you for the pictures Peter! It was wonderful to see you at the Show! Hope to see you again while touring this year's NPA Open Gardens and garden tours in the area!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Goodness that' s different. I have never seen cakes quite like this before. What artistry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cake art seems to be coming into its own. That last one might just be the crowning glory.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.