-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, February 20, 2017

In A Vase On Monday

In a Vase on Monday is hosted by  the endlessly creative Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.  Click here to see her arrangement this week and to find links to those of others.

Snowdrops are numerous in my garden right now and I've never brought any inside so decided to do just that this week.

Searching for a smallish container, I grabbed a cobalt net spice jar  made by the Imperial Porcelain Factory, founded by Empress Elizabeth 1, in St. Petersburg  (Until the Bolshevik revolution in 1917, when the Russian Empire ceased to exist,  the imperial family were the exclusive patrons of the factory. The Soviets renamed the factory The State Porcelain Factory and in 1925 it was renamed The Lomonosov Porcelain Factory and their wares became available to everyone else in the country.  In 2005, stockholders voted to revert to the original name.)

Having been raised in Alaska, once Russian America, (1741 - 1867) and having spent a year in Sitka, (nee New Arkhangelsk) it's capital, complete with an historic Russian Orthodox church and Russian dance troupe,  I've been exposed to and interested in Russian artifacts and culture for years.   Only recently I discovered that my paternal grandfather's birthplace was listed as Russia in the 1940 census.

The blooms were tightly closed against the rain when picked but quickly opened up when brought inside.  Such sweet and delicate things.

The little spice jar was joined by a Gzhel ceramic samovar and a Lomonosov teapot in Golden Garden pattern.



Presiding over the tea party is an icon of St. Nicholas and the group is joined by a tattered hellebore bloom rescued from the ground.

The riza cuts down on glare from the flash.  
Счастливый садоводства (Happy gardening)  

Tomorrow's post will be a little late as I'll be going to a preview of the gardens at the Northwest Flower and Garden Show in the morning and will  want to share a peek with you.

16 comments:

  1. That is a fabulous story to go with those fabulous items. I've never seen a ceramic samovar. I've always been a big fan of Russian architecture, interiors, and icons. As always, a really beautiful and unusual display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The samovar is a small, non-functional souvenir with the five ring Olympic symbol on top. These were made around the time of the 1980 Olympics in Moscow. I found it in an antique shop in Anchorage ten years ago but have seen some offered on ebay.

      Delete
  2. I finally found a couple of tiny snowdrops above the ground yesterday. Just barely above the ground. The blooms had popped, but the stalks were so short, they were still touching the soil. I sure hope future displays in my garden will be more impressive. You sure surrounded your snowdrops with a lot of gold! Your collection of artifacts is crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hellebore flower, unless it's unusually large, really shows the scale of the ceramic pieces. I think you chose the perfect container for the snowdrops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can never see enough snowdrops! If I ever have enough I'll bring them inside too. I really enjoyed your story about your Russian artefacts, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a delightful collection of blooms and props - and how interesting to hear of your Russian connection

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a perfect container for the delicate snowdrops and you've created a wonderful vignette (complete with a compelling back story no less!). I'm beginning to think you must have a very large warehouse attached to your house, as filled to the gills with curated artifacts as your wonderful greenhouse is with plants.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Спасибо, Peter, for a glamorous display.
    Snowdrops are sweet and petit with fresh, white-green colors, but only delicate-looking: in reality they are tough little things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely collection you have there, Peter. I think you won the Prop Award this week! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've fallen for snowdrops in a big way this year, noticing them everywhere and endeavoring to keep the car on the road as I drive past. Your display is wonderful and such a beautiful spice jar. Great stories too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely collection of Russian pieces and the dear little snowdrops look so sweet in the spice jar.

    Thanks for sharing the info and your nice photos.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very beautiful--the entire set! I don't have very many Snowdrops--the voles and the rabbits seem to get to them. But when they do make it through and bloom, they're such a joy. I especially like your little vase. I can't imagine living in Alaska--Wisconsin is cold enough and dark enough in the winter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never picked snow drops either. What lovely little gems they are, and your porcelain collection is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you mentioned that your next post would be late because I missed it this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think Peter, your spice jar suits well to snowdrops:-) I love Gzhel factory pieces too, but I haven't a samovar as nice as yours.
    Here snow still lies and there is none flower.
    Interesting family story, Peter. What your grandfather's destiny. I was interested in Alaska history, have read there were many Russian forts, developing business and commerce.
    By the way this icon of St. Nicolay is know here as a Saint that can realize one's desire, he was called Nicolay-pander.
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Nadezda, for the information about the icon. I knew very little about it but have always enjoyed seeing Russian icons.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.