-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, February 6, 2017

In A Vase On Monday - Smelly Stuff

The highly addictive In A Vase On Monday is hosted by the extremely talented Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.  Click here to see what others are putting in a vase today.

During most of the day on Sunday a mix rain and snow fell from the sky.  Because it was wet, cold, and a bit breezy, I didn't linger while cutting vase victims this week.  On Friday, while waiting for my car to warm up, a passerby stopped to enjoy the fragrance of Lonicera fragrantissima blooming in my hell strip.  It made me happy to see someone else enjoying this winter treat.  The strong fragrances of winter bloomers have been greeting my comings and goings for the last few weeks so why not extend the pleasure to the inside of the house?

Since winter scent is a theme, a yard sale perfume bottle came out of the basement along with an old tumbler that was part of Avon's Bristol Blue Collection.  The draped glass piece in the middle didn't get used.

From the garden, blooms of Sarcococca, Chimonanthus praecox, Viburnum × bodnantense ‘dawn' Helleborus argutifolius, and branches of Cotoneaster were quickly gathered as slush fell from the sky.

I'd never brought some of these inside before and am pleased with how heavenly the entire room smells.

Not wanting to throw anything away, the remaining cuttings got shoved into a container and thrown on the dining room table.
What has made it into a vase at your place this week?

10 comments:

  1. With few exceptions (lilacs, lilies etc) I don't have too many fragrant flowers and none at this time of year. That has to be so nice to have a fragrant bouquet from your own garden in February. Even with your bad weather, you PNW do have some great garden benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shoved in a container...I like your style Peter, just up my street! Your fragrant collection is delightful - so far I haven't had more than an odd individual bloom of L fragrantissima but it shouldn't be long now. LIke me, I am sure you would recommend everyone has some winter fragrance in their garden, so thanks for sharing yours today

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great vase! So are you home from school today and enjoying that scent?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps you missed a calling as a perfume designer? I envy you your winter scents. Other than Narcissus and Tagetes, the scents of both disdained by my husband, there's nothing much scent-worthy in my winter garden. But, I'm counting the days until the Freesia bloom...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I bet that smells heavenly! I haven't even noticed yet if my sweetbox is flowering. Wondering if you got as hammered with snow as we did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not bad for all the cutting, shoving and throwing that went on. Love the blue tumbler.
    The only blooming in my garden is mahonia which tend to drop the fragrant blooms once its in a vase, and stinky hellebore which will not make it inside under any circumstances :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A real NOSEGAY! The perfume bottle is gorgeous and the table leftovers are as good as the entree.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have had sarcococca sprigs in the house for several weeks now. They need to be refreshed after a few days, but for the first couple of days the fragrance is heavenly.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.