-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, October 24, 2016

In A Vase on Monday.

I got home later than usual on Sunday so this week's arrangement is a quick-grab-something-before-it-gets-dark  affair.  On the kitchen shelf was an amethyst glass vase containing a couple of buds of 'Fragrant Cloud' Rose that broke off when a branch hit them.  To that I added some fallen berries from Aralia spinosa or perhaps Aralia ealata.  Not sure which it is but it was a volunteer and I enjoy it so it gets to stay.

Because of the color of the vase, Callicarpa berries needed to be added and while I was out in the parking strip, I grabbed a stalk of miscanthus that was falling onto the sidewalk.

Doesn't look like much as an arrangement but it's fun to have the elements inside to enjoy.  Trying to add something more, a Heuchera 'Forever Purple' was dragged from the pot ghetto but somehow a black plastic gallon pot doesn't really add much.


A little orange viola in a vase is a better choice but probably will stay outside and just the vase, as is will come into the kitchen.

Still not a great arrangement.  Oh well, you've heard "Beauty School Dropout."  Just Substitute the word florist for beauty and you've got me!



In a Vase on Monday is hosted by Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.  Click here to see her arrangement and those of other participants this week. 

10 comments:

  1. Every creation can't be your favorite, right? Still has some nice elements. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just went to a talk by a local botanic garden director who spent a month working at Great Dixter. They have a huge section of plants ready to swap out new perfect potted specimens in those fabulous arrangements by the front door at Dixter. Your comment about your pot ghetto made me think of them and reminded me that Dixter is not the only garden filled with pots ready to make a statement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that heuchera is a beauty - and the callicarpa berries are a great match. You are too modest though Peter - you come up trumps every week, and with your props too

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Heuchera overpowers the rest of the arrangement, but the Viola is a nice counterpoint. They can't all be masterpieces, especially if you've had a busy day, or a busy week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your determination to participate even with waning day light and a busy schedule. Beautyberry is so vivid and bright: a good addition to any vase. After I planted my Heuchera 'Forever Purple' yesterday I realized the tag read "full sun". Now I have to get a another, plant in full sun and compare .

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Heuchera steals the show in my view this week, Peter - what a stunner! Despite your disclaimer, I'm always impressed by what you pull together, whether hurried or not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes vases like this, with just a few stems from the garden, are the nicest to have in the kitchen. No space for an overblown arrangement but something like this is enough to have you feeling connected to the garden even when you're inside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beauty school dropout - that was a great one! I esp. loved the combo of beautyberry, heuchera (despite the pot) and that pretty amethyst vase.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to disagree but first vase and pickings you show are simply perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.