-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Whimsical Yard Art by Alikat Embellishments

On a recent Saturday visit to Flower World (more on that in another post.) we were lucky enough to visit the Saturday market on the park-like grounds of the Flower World compound (over 200 acres in all.)  Proceeds from vendor space rental are contributed to the local food bank.  Kat, the organizer of the happening creates unique beaded creations like custom designd tiaras, jewelery, flowers, candle skirts and more.  On this day, we got to see some of the "and more."

Many people make flowers from re purposed dishes and it's interesting how each person comes up with their own unique twist on this idea.  I've started calling my own thrift stores on a stick.

Kat does not limit herself to glass and ceramics.

Her prices are very reasonable.  


Heavy metal?



As if these fun and funky flowers aren't enough, Kat also brough along some of her  lovely (and hungry) ladies.


Thanks, Kat, for your permission to photograph and post your imaginative work and for organizing this weekly fundraiser for such  a good cause!



 Dig those fab pumps and that cute bee!

Tin woodsmen!

No insecticides please!

As if 15 acres of retail plant sales area, the local produce store, (fresh unpasteurized apple cider!) the gardens, the livestock, and the nursery's proximity to the Maltby Cafe weren't enough, now there's yet another reason to visit Flower World on Saturdays! 

18 comments:

  1. 'Thrift Store on a Stick" -- a great term. So far I have not been inspired enough to bring out a bale of my many treasures and try to assemble glass flowers nor cute creatures. It looks like work and I think I lack ingenuity.

    A bag of all the different sizes of tin cans with enough to make a tin man with spare parts left over including sardine cans for feet hung in the shed until the plastic bag deteriorated and the cans fell to the floor.

    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well, it's the thought that counts and you thought about it right?

      Delete
  2. What cool and creative art! I love the hungry ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some very fun things there...or should I say tins!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's one way to eliminate pink flamingoes from our midst! I appreciate her creative mind.
    When I'm in a thrift store I contemplate such art creations, but I know that despite my best intentions it will all end up next to Jean's in art projects heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these ladies would do a great job of eliminating flamingos and gnomes from a garden!

      Delete
  5. With all this Flower World visiting you're going to have to get a weekend place north of Seattle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A grand idea! Unfortunately, I spend all my money on plants so no weekend place...

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. And it pays better than most of the recycling places.

      Delete
  7. Oh, I love this idea! I'm going to show this to my better half, as he enjoys making lawn art. We have plentiful pieces of odds 'n ends plates and bolws. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all of Kat's creations! I've seen similar flowers on a stick, or whatever you want to call them, but hers are by far the most creative I've seen. The bundt pan/jello mold creation is inspiring and wondering if I could try my hand at making one--I don't remember the last time I've used one of my jello molds or the bundt cake pan in the cabinets anyway:) Just the name of this market, Flower World, would certainly draw me in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favourite are the flamingo-eating tin monsters!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the flower made of green and clear glass, after the heavy metal one. And I really like those monsters. That's the only way I'd want a gnome or pink flamingo in my garden, though I did see some skeleton flamingos last Halloween that were tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hah! Glad to hear the "on a stick" phenomenon is not limited to all forms of deep fried foods.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nooo, not the poor flamingoes! Very creative.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.